Author Topic: I'm creating more problems than I'm fixing.  (Read 12485 times)

Offline tc197

Re: I'm creating more problems than I'm fixing.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »
Thank you for the additional information! No updates yet, I haven't had a chance to get home to the truck. Without a doubt it will happen this weekend at the latest.

Offline tc197

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »
Finally got to my truck. Unfortunately replacing the fusible links did me no luck.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
Post pics of the fuse links connecting to the alternator and to the starter, as well as pics of the bulkhead connector from the engine compartment.  How many 12-gauge red wires enter the bulkhead connector from the engine compartment?  There should be two and both should measure B+.  Don't be confused by all the little things that don't function correctly at this time.  Some may resolve by reestablishing power into the cab through the bulkhead; others are unrelated and can be resolved later.  Did you ever check for power into the ignition switch and headlamp switch? 
... I'll ... take pictures, check on the red wires entering the bulkhead, and make sure those red wires have B+....

Have you had a chance to do this yet?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline tc197

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »
Yes im in the process of that now. What is the best way to check the b+ on those red wires? I just found out I have no power at my ecmb fuse with ignition on. On the engine side of the firewall where the red wires enter the cab there is a bunch of old grease packed into the wiring box. Should i pull the fuse panel off from inside the cab to check the red wires?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
The black tar-like substance filling the cavities of the bulkhead connector is an antioxidant sealer used to repel dust and water as well as block underhood fumes and outside air from entering the cab through the connector.  You can probe through the sealer from the engine compartment side or probe from the cabin side of the connector.  One of the two red wires passing through the bulkhead connector feeds B+ to the ignition switch, the ECM-B fuse, interior lights, tail lights and horn.  The ECM-B fuse should measure B+ at all times - it powers ECM memory and the fuel pump through the firewall mounted relay.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline tc197

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Bd i love you. While you were writing that last post i found my problem. Randomly in the middle of one of the red wires that goes through the bulkhead i found a spot that split open and was corroded to dust. It wasnt until i ripped all of the black plastic shielding off that i found it. I had b+ at the start of the red wires, but not at the bulk head so thats what lead me to that.

Thank you everyone so much for the help and patience. The truck is idling, the headlights work, you dont even know how excited i am. Ill post up some pics of the wire that was shot for peoples enjoyment.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »
Congrats on figuring it out and getting it resolved!
Rich

Offline tc197

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 07:56:09 PM »
Figured I'd close this out completely and finally get those pictures up of that stupid wire. It's been about 2 weeks now with pretty smooth sailing. I have a slight idle issue when I'm in reverse and occasionally 1st and stopped for either a long period of time or on an incline and it will stall out. I also have a slight take off issue every once in awhile where it stumbles on acceleration and sputters to try and get moving but it's almost at random when it will happen. If it happens it's usually when I first start the truck and it almost always fades out after a few minutes. Regardless it runs, drives, I have headlights, and things are finally moving forward. Thanks for all the help again on this one!