Author Topic: Mouse eaten enigine harness  (Read 330 times)

Offline 86c10

Mouse eaten enigine harness
« on: December 24, 2023, 09:35:55 PM »
I’m working on a ‘74 c10, 350 with points ignition, all original.  The truck sat in a field for 20+ years and mice got to the engine harness. The wire out of the distributor to the coil is mostly gone but I can splice a new section on, the yellow resistance wire is gone but I’m pretty sure I found the other end. I’m just trying to get it running again to decided if I want to put any money into the engine. Can I just run a new section of regular wire in place of the resistance wire to verify the health of the engine?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Mouse eaten enigine harness
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
Yes.  But if you put the vehicle into regular service that way the points will burn.  If you need to rebuild the engine harness anyway, consider upgrading the wire gauge to support HEI.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 86c10

Re: Mouse eaten enigine harness
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 03:18:26 PM »
Yes.  But if you put the vehicle into regular service that way the points will burn.  If you need to rebuild the engine harness anyway, consider upgrading the wire gauge to support HEI.

If I want to keep the points where can I get the right amount of resistance wire? Is the yellow wire from the starter to the coil all resistance wire or just a section close to the coil?