Author Topic: 10 bolt axle seal  (Read 12607 times)

Offline 86c10

10 bolt axle seal
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
I have to replace the axle seal on my 10 bolt rear. Is there any special tools I need for removal or install? I only have a small window of time to do this tomorrow afternoon and want to make sure I have everything I need when I start. Sorry if this question has been covered before, I just haven't had the time to do a search (new baby taking up a lot of time).

Thanks

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 10 bolt axle seal
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
     If you're talking about the axle seal and not the pinion seal then  common shop tool should suffice.  Your axle should have a c-clip on the inside of the axle inside the carrier, you will need to take the brake assy. and backing plate off.  Once you open the diff. Cover and push in the axle to remove the c-clip, you can pull the axle out and replace the seal.
     Install in reverse order making sure to seat the c-clip completely in the end of the axle.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
I don't remove the baking plate. Pull the drum, and brakes. Pull the diff cover, then the pin retaining bolt. Have always found that tightening it a touch seems to make it less likely to break off when removing it. Had an old timer tell me that, and since then I haven't broke one off since. remove the pin, and C clip. Slid the axle out, a seal puller, or a long pry bar will pop the seal out. Clean everything up. i usually wipe as much old oil out of the rear as possible. then hose everything down with break clean. Drive the new seal in, and reassemble.
If your going to take it apart you might as well replace the other side too. Would be a pain in the backsdie if next week or next month that one started leaking!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 86c10

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
Thanks bake and blazin, would you guys recommend replacing the axle bearing while I'm at it? I had a little time to search yesterday and some posts said you should replace the bearings if a seal goes out.

Offline rsandusky

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
I would replace the bearings while its apart. However, you'll need a slide hammer to do so. As far as removing the old seal I use the end of the axle itself as I pull it out.  :)

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »
86c10 I would sniff around and find out why the seal went bad to begin with. It may be a matter of just a bad seal, however step 2 is to check your differential vent plug and more specific pull the rubber hose of the nipple at the pumpkin verify "clear" passage from inside the housing through your hose and breather. Occasionally they do become plugged, the pumpkin becomes pressurized and no matter how new the seal.... its gonna puke fluid. Let us know what you find.
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
I would replace the bearings while its apart. However, you'll need a slide hammer to do so. As far as removing the old seal I use the end of the axle itself as I pull it out.  :)
86c10 I would sniff around and find out why the seal went bad to begin with. It may be a matter of just a bad seal, however step 2 is to check your differential vent plug and more specific pull the rubber hose of the nipple at the pumpkin verify "clear" passage from inside the housing through your hose and breather. Occasionally they do become plugged, the pumpkin becomes pressurized and no matter how new the seal.... its gonna puke fluid. Let us know what you find.

x2 on both statements.  You got it open, do the research and work.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 86c10

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »

x2 on both statements.  You got it open, do the research and work.

The more I look into it the more I think this is all good advise, I would rather not do the job twice. I'm going to have to replace the brakes on the driver side because the shoes are soaked in gear lube. The plan was to do this yesterday after work but my wife came down with the stomach flu and I've got baby patrol until she gets better. I'll let you guys know how it comes out, if I have time I'll try to take some pics and post a how to.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
Might as well replace the brakes on both sides. (1) they come both sides to a box. (2) no sense in always playing catch up. If you do one side now, and one later, one side will always wear out sooner than the other from now on.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Might as well replace the brakes on both sides. (1) they come both sides to a box. (2) no sense in always playing catch up. If you do one side now, and one later, one side will always wear out sooner than the other from now on.

Hey Blazin, why is it that I could never get my children, or their friends, to understand this statement.  I wonder if it is a generational gap thing, or just don't want to listen to parents thing.  ???
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 86c10

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »

That was my plan until I started puling things apart this morning. When I went to take the cross pin bolt out I only got about 3/8'' to come out. I never heard it break so I'm not sure if a previous owner broke it and just put it back or what, I can tell someone has been in this rear before. So now I'm wondering if I should just swap the 10 bolt 2.73 for a 12 bolt 3.73 I have. I pulled the 12 bolt apart and it needs brakes but every thing else looks good. I was able to pull both axles and there is no damage from bad bearings and no groove from bad axle seals. I have the drive shaft from the truck the 12 bolt came out of,and it's the same length, so I'm not sure if I will need to get a hybrid u-joint or not. I've never had to get a broken cross pin bolt out so I'm not sure how much work it will be vs swapping an axle. What do you guys think? If I put the 12 bolt in I would replace both axle seals and bearings when I did the brakes on both sides.

Offline 86c10

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
I've had sometime to research getting the broken bolt out and it looks like it might not be as bad as I thought. I'm going to try and get the bolt out with a small pic but if I have to end up burning the pin out I might as well put the 12 bolt in. If I have to buy a new pinion shaft and bolt for the 10 bolt it will only cost about $20 more to freshen up the 12 bolt and then I have a 3.73 for not much money. Does my train of thought make sense?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
I have gotten broken pin bolts out with a pick, and a magnet on the pick before. Allot of times there is like one thread left so you have to turn it counterclockwise with the pick. Tapping on the spider pin, & centering it some times helps too. Takes the pressure off the broken pin / bolt.
If you use the 12 bolt you will need a cross over U joint. The caps are smaller diameter, and the cross is a little shorter for the 12 bolt than they are on a 10 bolt.
Depends on how far you drive it, the 3:73s will give you allot more snap, but will probably drag your fuel milage down some.

Offline 86c10

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »
I have gotten broken pin bolts out with a pick, and a magnet on the pick before. Allot of times there is like one thread left so you have to turn it counterclockwise with the pick. Tapping on the spider pin, & centering it some times helps too. Takes the pressure off the broken pin / bolt.
If you use the 12 bolt you will need a cross over U joint. The caps are smaller diameter, and the cross is a little shorter for the 12 bolt than they are on a 10 bolt.
Depends on how far you drive it, the 3:73s will give you allot more snap, but will probably drag your fuel milage down some.

The truck doesn't get used much, I've put less than 2000 miles on it in almost 4 years. I use it to run to lowe's/homedepot, haul fallen branches on our property,etc. I've thought about starting a small lawn service and would possibly be pulling a small trailer, the extra snap would be nice. I also kick the idea around of a 5.3/4l60e swap some day and the 3.73 would be nice if that ever happens.

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »
Someone (to include myself!) should've at least mentioned the cross pin bolt is not suppossed to be reused, this is a step often forgotten when replacing axle seals. More often than not is gets pulled out and given the once over and "looks good" so back in it goes. Guilty here of that also, the problem is the bolt often gets overtorqued. Its a preventative measure and honestly on some projects "get it back together quick" prevails over take precautions(Guilty of that too) Kinda still curious why the old seal went bad.Looks like a 12 bolt in your future?
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift