Author Topic: Where does the positive on the choke connect?  (Read 15444 times)

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
Re: Where does the positive on the choke connect?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
I'm not seeing anything. The only thing I see back there is a tube coming from the engine to an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in the cab.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
what about on top of the oil filter?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 06:02:42 PM »
I didn't see any sort of wires coming out around it..

Offline hatzie

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:49 PM »
The AC Delco D1811 / GM 10002798 two terminal choke heater oil pressure switch for the 1982-1986 carbureted trucks is screwed into the block just above the oil filter.  It's wired as follows.

PINK/WHITE IGN power from the bulkhead plug at 350.  The wiper power wires are GRAY and have nothing to do with the choke.
Two BLUE wires on the second terminal.
--LT BLUE to CHOKE heater.
--DK BLUE to the bulkhead plug at 931 and then the instrument panel CHOKE lamp.

Snippet from the 1983 GM wiring diagrams.

#13 is the oil pressure sender for the gauge.
#17 is the Choke Heater Oil Pressure Switch.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:37:09 PM by hatzie »
SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
Look at the simplified diagram posted earlier by Vile...

Unless someone removed it or tucked it up into a convoluted loom, there should be a black two-terminal, three-wire pigtail with pink/white stripe, dark blue and light blue wires that connects to a two-prong oil pressure switch (OPS).... 

Look closely in the vicinity of and just above the oil filter at the left rear of the engine.  If neither appears near or above the oil filter, look around the back of the intake manifold, just behind the China Wall and left (driver side) of the ignition distributor.  Keep in mind that when the aftermarket manual oil gauge was installed the choke OPS and harness may have been removed from the vehicle.  Studying the firewall bulkhead connector, using the diagram above for reference, you should be able to determine whether the pink/white and dark blue wires exit the connector and enter the engine compartment harness.

The light blue wire from the OPS connects to the choke heater on the carburetor through a connector that looks like the image below.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »
I think it's all been removed. I found a short small bundle of wires coming out of the firewall to the right of the brake booster. I have no reference for the shade of blue, whether it's dark or light, but the is a blue wire and a pink with white stripe wire

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
Can I connect to the Pink and white one? It's hard to read those diagrams, can't tell what's what XD

Edit: actually, I think it's the blue one I want. It has 12v with the key on. Oddly, the pink/white wire had like 0.26v... Wondering if I just had a bad contact with it with you multimeter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:10:19 AM by m3talc0re »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
12v with key on isnt bad. but if you turn your key on to listen to the radio or something then it will turn the choke on without the engine running and thats why the OPS is a good idea when it comes to the choke

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
There may be a switch in there, I'm not sure, but it's definitely not connected to anything. I don't normally sit there with the key on, either. So it'll do at least until I can get the switch and all working correctly

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

Referring to ^^^^ diagram, the pnk/wht wire is powered directly from the CHOKE fuse.  The dk blu wire is the "ground side" of the choke telltale light in the dash.  Your voltmeter maybe tossing you a curve ball.  Use an incandescent test light rather than a voltmeter when probing for power.  Grounding the dk blu wire with the ignition on should illuminate the dash telltale - you cannot use the dk blu wire for power.  Check the CHOKE fuse then retest the pnk/wht wire for power.

The block of rectangular cells containing numbers at the right center of the diagram is just a simplified drawing of the bulkhead connector that feeds power through the firewall, both into and out of the cab.  Each cell in the block corresponds to a wire cavity in the bulkhead connector.  If you compare the diagram to the bulkhead connector in your truck you'll discover which two cavities in the connector should contain the pnk/wht and dk blu wires you seek. 

The numerals in the individual cells are circuit numbers.  Circuit 350 is the power feed from the 20-amp CHOKE fuse (pnk/wht wire).  Circuit 931 is the 'ground lead' coming from the Choke telltale in the dash (dk blu wire).

Understanding the wiring diagram symbols for the "pink wire with white stripe":

.8 PNK/WHT-350(SXL)
  • .8 is the metric cross sectional area of the wire conductor in (mm)2.  0.8 corresponds to American Wire Gauge (AWG) size 18.  Factory GM wiring manuals offer tables that cross reference metric wire sizes to the AWG equivalents.
  • PNK/WHT is the wire color, pink with white stripe
  • 350 is the circuit number, and
  • SXL is the type of insulation jacketing the wire, in this case a version of cross-linked polyethylene which has exceptional ozone, heat and automotive solvents tolerance.  Generally, wire insulation type is noted only when the specific application deviates from the standard PVC/GPT.
Similarly, you can decode the symbols for the remaining circuits on most GM wiring diagrams.  The few eight-digit numbers adjacent to connectors in the drawing are the original GM part numbers for the connectors - unfortunately, many of the part numbers are obsolete and/or superseded by the time the manuals are published and circulated for use.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
So I should be getting 12v from the PINK/WHITE wire? So I should have the choke connected to that one, which I'll have to check the fuse and strip the wire to get better contact on it. Like I said, that probe was probably barely touching it, I think. I've got the choke connected to the blue wire atm, and yeah, the "Choke" dash light just stays on -_-

Is there any way to wire that to make it functional? So the choke like goes on and off when it's supposed to?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 08:17:12 PM »
Your answer is in the wiring diagram that's been posted repeatedly and the two prong OPS that's been discussed.  All you really need to do is buy the OPS, maybe a connector, and some 18-gauge wire to string everything together.  If you need additional help interpreting the wiring diagram, just ask.  Plan on installing the OPS in its original location down near the oil filter - the OPS location is illustrated in the parts diagram already posted.  Essentially, all of the information you need is in this thread - read through it again.  Don't be shy.   ;)
Rich

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
None of these diagrams list positive or negative..

Okay, so the dark blue, is hot, but gets grounded in the ops and turns on the choke light. The pink/white is hot and goes to the ops, then a light blue positive goes from the ops to the choke heater.

I think some of my confusion is my lack of understanding of how and what the ops actually does.. Like, how does the oil pressure switch determine the choke is on or off. Looking at the diagram, why is the dark blue turning on the choke light and not an oil pressure light?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:04:34 AM by m3talc0re »

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 06:41:33 AM »
This is where I guess the oil pressure switch is, but I don't think there are any prongs coming out of this connector or whatever this is supposed to be... I'll go out in a little while and see if I can pull that off to see what I'm working with exactly..

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
i can see the prongs in the picture