Author Topic: Gas pedal sticks  (Read 1723 times)

Offline AmericaMade

Gas pedal sticks
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
83’ C10 383
Occasionally if you punch the accelerator pedal it will stick. Which was pretty frightening the first time it happened. As I had no idea WTH to do.
With that said I just somewhat in a panic used my foot to lift the pedal back up and that fixed it. Well it didnt fix it, it just stopped it from accelerating at that time.
Now if Im just cruising around this has yet to happen. And it only happens it seems when its first punched to make it scream down the road.

It doesnt appear to be cathcing on the cabs floor, so where else should I be looking to remedy this issue. What type of lub can I use, assuming this will fix it?

Thanks
1983 C10 Scottsdale 383 Stroker TH/350 Holley 850 Double pumper carb

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Gas pedal sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:43:02 AM »
how are your springs on the carb?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »
How's the cable look? Mine did the same thing and the cable had frayed inside the jacket and eventually got stuck again and at that time pulling up on the pedal did nothing. Other symptoms of a frayed cable as I've learned include firm pedal, pedal that clicks as you push it, and sticky throttle. Open the throttle at the carb by hand, if it feels good there then you probably have a cable issue.
1979 Chevrolet Silverado C20 rclb cammed 355/th400/4.10 - sold
1977 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe c10 rcsb stepside 355/th350/3.42
Vortec heads lunati cam edelbrock intake headers

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:01:25 AM »
Other contributors may be the return spring on the card is disconnected or weak. I had a Q-jet going bad and the throttle shaft bushing in the body of the carb was binding and not letting the spring do it’s job. The carb didn’t last much longer after that.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."