Author Topic: IF it wasn't for bad luck.....  (Read 1801 times)

Offline devildogmech

IF it wasn't for bad luck.....
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
I woudn't have any at all. 

So I've been trying to get my 350/350 in my 79' C-10 running well, so I can do stuff before I do my 5.3 swap.

The motor was burning oil, and the seller said the valve seals were bad..... Well, he wasn't exactly wrong. There were no umbrella seals. So I used the rope trick method and the lever tool to put new seals in....

All done, adjusted the valves and it wouldn't start. It would crank, would Catch but wouldn't actually run.

Take the valve covers back off, double check the timing and re-adjust the valves to make sure they weren't too tight and not actually closing. IOEC method.... Done.

Put the spark plugs back in and #1 is being a $#@%.... again. I've chased the threads a couple of times (plenty of grease in the flutes of the chase to catch any shavings).... So I run it in and am listening to music, not really paying attention.... I ran it ALL THE WAY IN....  :o

Now the chase tap is stuck in the cylinder and I can't get it back out!!! FML.....

I'm done for the day. I'll dick with it tomorrow.
Be good, but not too good.

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
Re: IF it wasn't for bad luck.....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
Well,   shoot!  Hope you can find a way to grab it and unscrew it.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline devildogmech

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
Thank God the piston is at TDC, so the chase didn't fall into the cylinder. I just can't get it to thread back out of the spark plug hole.....

Offline devildogmech

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
Got it.. Took 10 min of fiddeling, but I got it out.... Now to get it running right.