Author Topic: Headers  (Read 2405 times)

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

Headers
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:12:14 PM »
Getting ready to purchase anew crate motor and was wondering about headers mid length or long tube. How low do the long tubes hang?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
Re: Headers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:49:48 PM »
For performance ID surely choose full length headers. Most hang slightly lower than the frame rail. If I get a chance and actually remember I will snap a pic of mine to give you an idea. If you wanna pay for it the bigger brands usually have a tighter fit and more ground clearance.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:10:25 PM »
Sounds good thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:57:11 PM »
I put long tube, full length headers for a 4x4 on my 2wd. They are tucked between the frame rails and you would have to look pretty hard to be able to see them. I have tons of ground clearance.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
Here is some useful info:

The second biggest controversy in header design is the "equal length" versus "shorty" styles---which is best? Like most performance products, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Exhaust headers with equal length primary tubes have been shown to develop slightly more power on an open exhaust system, but not when hooked up to a street system with mufflers. The fact is, most street motors with shorty headers will produce the same power as they would with expensive equal length headers.

Equal length tubes can produce more power, true. However, they must be the right length for the specific motor at the RPM range where you want the power. What that means is lots of custom fabrication and dyno testing, which translates into lots of time and money.

For racing applications, the slight gain may justify the cost, but competition cars are more easily built "around the engine" than street cars. When you are working within the confines of a given body style and chassis, with motor mounts, starter, steering linkage and accessories to think about, the way the headers fit becomes more important.

That is where the compact or "shorty" style header shines. You get a significant performance increase compared to stock exhaust manifolds, at an off-the-shelf price. Plus, Sanderson headers provide excellent clearance around spark plugs, starter and chassis components, as well as ground clearance for lowered vehicles. The charts on this page illustrate just how little power you trade off for the much lower cost and easy installation of compact headers.
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/lets-get-technical.html
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10