Author Topic: Demons in my Wipers  (Read 3290 times)

Offline wkeithwilson@gmail.com

Demons in my Wipers
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »
Every time I crank my 85 Silverado, the wipers start.  Sometimes, they will make 3 full swipes then stop.  Sometimes they will go until i pull back on the clip that you use to spray water on the windshield and then it stops after that cycle.  And other times, they are wiping, I have to turn them on with the sitch, let them take four or five swipes, then turn and hold the off switch and they will stop.

I'm thinking it's in that switch that has all the wiper controls and cruise control.  Cruise control doesn't work, by the way.  I was going to replace it and say that instructional on taking apart the steering column and decided I check here first.  All my other lights, blinkers, etc. work fine, so I don't think it's a ground issue.  I do have a couple of gauges that don't work, but I think those are in the sensors.

As always, great site and thanks in advance for your advice.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Demons in my Wipers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:11:09 AM »
Year/model of vehicle?

It sounds more like you have a delay wiper module problem.

BTW - The only switch in the lever is the cruise switch.  The wiper and turn switches are in the column.  The dimmer switch is low on the column, under the dash.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:31:25 AM »
I have the same problem, after replacing the motor and switch. I have not tested anything yet (winter killed any work lol) but I'm leaning toward a broken switch since I can move the switch and the wipers never turn off. I had to unplug the motor, the other thing might be the wire short. (this is on a 78 )

Mariah

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
I have the same problem, after replacing the motor and switch. I have not tested anything yet (winter killed any work lol) but I'm leaning toward a broken switch since I can move the switch and the wipers never turn off. I had to unplug the motor, the other thing might be the wire short. (this is on a 78 )

Mariah

More likely, it either has a faulty "park switch" in the wiper motor or one of the control wires running to the wiper switch is grounded between the motor and the wiper switch.  Look in Section 8 of the 1978 Service Manual.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline holleyj3

• Only New Here
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
I just had this exact same issue with my '85.  I removed the pulse control board and the problem went away.  The board is at the base of your steering column right behind the little removable panel.  The harness that plugs into both sides of the module will also plug together.  Your wipers will work just not in intermittent mode.  I eventually took the module apart and found a burned part inside.  I replaced it with a part from RockAuto for about $60 and everything works perfectly now.
85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
Depending on the year it is most likely the park switch in the motor itself.  It is a little metal tang that makes and breaks contact via the large nylon gear.  There is a little ramp that pushes it off of the contact.  The nylon ramp actually wears a hole in the metal contact!
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
bd, thanks for the link :)

Mariah

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
You're quite welcome.
Rich