Author Topic: Rino line the top of your bed?  (Read 8709 times)

Offline Skunksmash

Rino line the top of your bed?
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Whenever I get my truck painted, I'm going to have to make a decision. Whether or not I want my spray-in bed liner to go on the tops of the bedrails. Just the very top of the bed is what I mean. To me, that part just looks like its asking to get all scratched, if you have a new paint job.  But what do these trucks look like with the top of the bed lined with rino-liner? Or lineX, or whatever. All those newer trucks look like they were absolutely made for a spray in bed liner. They look like they wouldn't look right without it. But on these trucks, I'm not so sure. I know it will look great inside the bed, but what about the part you put your arms on when you lean on the bed and face inwards? I still want to use my truck like a truck once I get it painted, but I'll get really mad if I scratch up the top of the bed.

Offline codyC10kid

• Registered Users
Re: Rino line the top of your bed?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:47 PM »
What i am going to do is Paint my truck and then put roll on bed liner in the Box and Cab (mud truck wood houler)and buy that chrome trim that gose on top of the bed rains and tail gate and front box...it will look better then bed liner on top of the bed rails i think 

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:28:53 AM »
You might have something there, something like diamond plate or something might look ok.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:16:37 AM »
Roll on bed liner is a waste of $$. If your going to do it your self use SEM spray in liner.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
I was going to take it somewhere to have mine done. But I'm afraid it won't look right if I do the tops of the bed rails. Anyone had that done?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
     If you are talking about the flat (vertical, not horizontal) top of the bed. 
     I have seen several different brands of trucks done through work that way, and I have not liked one I have seen, they all look out of place.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
I rolled plasticote bedliner in my bed, both the floor and inner sides, and also did the tops of the rails. No pics of it 100% intact, but it looked fine. I just forgot to scuff the interior sides and tops of the rails, so it peeled easily and only about 50% of it is left on the rails.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:58:21 AM »
     If you are talking about the flat (vertical, not horizontal) top of the bed. 
     I have seen several different brands of trucks done through work that way, and I have not liked one I have seen, they all look out of place.

No I'm talking about the top.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »
I don't think it looks good on our trucks, but that is just my opinion.

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
I actually just took my truck in for a repaint and it's going to get a bedliner as well.  I prefer the bed rails covered and even a bit of overhang on the outside, so that's what my '86 will get.

In a month or so I should have it back in my possession and I'll most definitely post pictures.

Offline nlauffer

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
What if you get the color matched bedliner.  Although, it depends on what color you are painting the truck as to how close it will match.  I had an S10 with the bedliner sprayed on the tops and just overhang on the outside about 3/4".  I didn't like the overhang or the top of the bedrail.

Offline black85k10

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
i work for line-x and have done both over the rail and under on these trucks. i think it looks good both ways. just think about what you are going to do with the truck. my 85 k-10 has the rails sprayed. i just got a 86 c-10 but not to sure how i will do that one yet.

with the rail caps just remember that they can rub the paint and lead to rust again
85 chevy k-10 350 th400

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
I would rather see the top get scratched up than see a bedliner that looks overdone. Anyway theres my opinion. In the end its your truck and should be exactly what you want it to be. If I was concerned about protecting mine I would use a clear film. I can't recall the product name but it would be like a clear window tint over the area. It would give you good protection and be nearly invisible.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
Covering the top of the bed rails with bedliner looks super weird to me.  It is functional though.

Offline 87 V20

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
What I did was put a light coat over the tops, then put the diamond caps on....that way if they rub, they will be rubbin the line x, and not ur paint, which wont let it rust....my $.02