Author Topic: (Lights?) It's all about the Grounding"!!  (Read 1991 times)

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
(Lights?) It's all about the Grounding"!!
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »
85, K10 Stepside 355 4speed NP205.

For you guy's having lighting issues? I will save you some research time. I have spent a whole week tracking down wiring problems in my truck. Just an example" Turn on the head lamps "No Brake Lights" Click on a turn signal "The License plate light would flash" Turn off head lamp switch "I would have brake lights" and so on and so on. All this headache because of three ground lugs. Your body to frame grounding is very important!! check and double check them. Go to the parts store and invest in good grounding lugs, they cost about $6.00 each but are worth their weight in gold. Make sure you clean and re-clean your grounds. Get the sand paper and the grinder out and get a good clean surface to bolt too.

And those of you with stepside beds and outside mounted Tail lights. Take your lens cover off and look inside, you will see one of the mounting studs that bolt up to the outside housing. That stud comes all the way through and contacts the ground inside the lamp. Make sure your ground wire is attached to this lug on the outside of the tail light, and tied to a clean body surface under the tailgate on both lights. Go underneath the truck and make a good ground from the bed to the frame (I went right dead center of the truck, and tied onto a bed support and then back to the rear crossmember that ties the frame together. Check your ground from the Gas filler neck to frame. IMHO there is no such thing as to many grounds.

Hope this helps a little..

Rob..