Author Topic: '83 2wd parts swap onto '84 4x4 chassis - HELP!?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline K35Humvee

'83 2wd parts swap onto '84 4x4 chassis - HELP!?
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:16:00 AM »
Hey All,

New to the board and looking forward to learning some stuff! I usually tinker with Jeeps - it's time for the tow rig/big wheeler!

Here's my current situation/project:

The GOOD: '84 K35 CUCV M1008... 6.2L, TH400, NP208, D60 (open), 14 Bolt (locked), 24 volt. It's a 1-1/4 ton!

The BAD: No title. The 24 volt starter & flywheel need replaced. The body is beat (no rust though). Military amenities (none). And 24V is a PITA!

SOLUTION: Acquired an '83 K25 2wd - straight body, dual tanks, cruise, a/c, pl, pw, 12V, rebuilt TH700 with HD parts for towing, new tranny cooler, lightly modded 6.2L, new radiator, new exhaust, and it's titled! The only problem is the 2wd.

I hope to swap out of the 2wd & onto the 4x4 chassis the
Body w/interior, radiator, 12V system, engine, dual tanks, I would like to use the tranny if I can (?). What should I be aware of when planning such a project? And some resources for what I might need would be helpful. Can YOU help??? Please! Thanks in advance...

Edited by: K35Humvee at: 8/28/06 12:18 am

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: '83 2wd parts swap onto '84 4x4 chassis - HELP!?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
You can't use the 2wd trans on the 4x4.

I have a good 24volt starter if you're interested. The only thing that's 24Volt is the batteries because they are series'd and the alternators for the same reason. Everyhing else is 12 volts. You can pretty easily convert it to 12 volts also by just removing one alternator, putting the batteries in parallel and making a few simple wire swaps.

As far as a title goes a title search is like$25 bucks and then the DMV will issue you a new one within 30 days usually.

You'll have to punch out the floor for the transfercase shifter on the 2wd cab/

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline K35Humvee

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. See, I already bought the 2wd. It weighed out for me as the better way if I swap a titled and straight civlian body onto the military hardware. I am just wondering how much I can take with it. The motor swap is easy enough. I wondered if I could divorce the x-case and use the 700 that way? Maybe the tailshaft is too weak? Of course, I don't know what mods would have to be done to the x-case either. :rolleyes

Oh, and I planned on taking the bolt on tranny cover out of the 4wd and swapping it in place of the spot welded one on the 2wd. (I read it described like that anyway.) That shouldn't be too big a deal with the right drill bit.

Anyone know if the dual tank mounts will line up on both frames? It seems like the frames are the same except for the spring mounts, right?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
you sure the K35 CUCV has a NP208? It should be a NP205.
Don't quote me but I think the TH400 has like a 32 spline count output shaft same a SM456. & the 700R4 has a 28 spline count output shaft same as a TH350. If you got a 4x4 output shaft for the 700R4 and swaped the input shaft to match in you T case the could be used together. Problem with the output shaft is its the first part to go in the trans. In other words its going to be torn down to the point of just a  bare case. Your other option as you mentioned get a divorced T case, mount it, have a jack & front drive shaft made, & get the rear one cut shorter.
The 2 wheel body will bolt on except as mentioned the trans hump. I use butel or ribbon tape and large self tappers to mount the 4x4 hump into the 2x cab. the back corners are justa  bit diferent but can be massaged into place with a hammer. I use an air wizzer to cut the old one out, just follow the factory stamped line.
They are close enough in year, the tanks should mount right up, the holes are predrilled from the factory. I used the tank brackets from a 74 on my 86 rh side, the holes were there but the nuts were welded in the wrong spot on the front bracket.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline K35Humvee

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »
Hey great reply; thanks! I double checked a site www.cucv.us/ but not the truck itself for which x-case came in the CUCV and the site said 208.

I'll have to weigh out the benefits of each tranny choice and I may end up rebuilding the 400 while it is out to keep things simple. Selling the rebuilt and beefed up 700 might pay for the 400's rebuild anyway (fingers crossed). Otherwise, I need to save up some cash and start ordering parts!

Offline 79ChevyK20Guy

• The clothes don't make the man!
Re: '83 2wd parts swap onto '84 4x4 chassis - @#%$
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
Hey, I have an NP208 out of an 82 CUCV on the ground bolted to the cross member and the output shaft for a th350 to match it if you are interested, I'll take $75 plus shipping costs

Brian Skaggs
"Sometimes you just gotta say WTH?"

Offline K35Humvee

Re: '83 2wd parts swap onto '84 4x4 chassis
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
As far as I know my 208 is in good condition. It will be a while before I take it out to check it. Thanks anyway.