Author Topic: How many leafs do I need?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
How many leafs do I need?
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:11:08 AM »
I am putting together a low buck '82 GMC SWB, 2 wheel drive. It currently has 6 leafs, I have a '86 parts truck that has 5 leafs and a '87 parts truck that has 4 leafs. My counts include the thick lower one.

I plan on lowering the truck, put some 20's on it and it will be my ride for a while. I intend to take it to test and tunes at the local drag strip and maybe do some bracket racing with it. The goal is high 11's so making it hook is important but so is having the right stance or look.

Anybody have any ideas of what I need to achieve this hopefully using something I already have around? I don't have a total drop number in mind yet and will consider suggestions

TIA!!
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: How many leafs do I need?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
im not too familiar with dropping a truck but when i think of removing leafs i also think about axle wrap. and the more leafs you remove the more wrap you get. so if you remove springs it might be a good idea for a 4 link or something like that.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
AZ----I hav a 87 , same scenerio. I had 6 leaf HD springs. Mine are 56"long. Yours  may be 52".
Probably don't matter much. Anyway, I removed the 3/4" overload leaf and the next 2 leafs.
Also installed 2" longer shackles for a 5"drop. Looks good. Also cut 1 coil from front springs.
Front dropped about 2 1/4" . I don't know what may happen if you raced it that way , as I
Just cruise with mine. Good luck.
Jerry

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies, this is looking like it's going to be much more involved than I initially thought to make it do what I want to to do.

A four link may be the right solution and keep it in the budget if I can find a used axle with the desired ration.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce