Author Topic: tune-up  (Read 9622 times)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
tune-up
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
i have a couple of quick questions regarding a tune-up:

1.  for those of you have removed your air assembly and have a standard air cleaner, whats the difference between having a larger vs. smaller filter.  right now, i have a 14x4, but i always wondered why some guys go with the very small filters?  i always thought larger would be better, now i'm thinking the smaller would have a better response?  drawbacks?

2.  whats the difference between ld and hd 350's on plugs that the haynes list?  the light duty r45ts vs. the heavy duty r44t
is one better for power and one economy?  and i imagine delcos are best to use on our trucks?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:32:26 PM by cwilson jr »

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
Re: tune-up
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
The heat range is the diff in those plugs.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:10 AM »
the bigger the filter the more air flow/ less restrictive you get. the smaller are for lawnmowers lol. i dont know why anyone would put something on that small. i mean if it was for power/pedal response then a big dirty filter would be best. but you know its not. the more air you can get in the more power you make the more air has to leave. but the colder you can make this air the more power you can make also. fender well intake are good cause it pulls its air from the fender not the engine bay which gets hot. about the plugs which ones do you have now? you want a plug that reaches the right temperature. too hot and you can get ping to cold and you can get carbon fowling. look at what comes out of your truck and what condition the plugs are in
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »
i have a couple of quick questions regarding a tune-up:

1.  for those of you have removed your air assembly and have a standard air cleaner, whats the difference between having a larger vs. smaller filter.  right now, i have a 14x4, but i always wondered why some guys go with the very small filters?  i always thought larger would be better, now i'm thinking the smaller would have a better response?  drawbacks?

Bigger air filter means greater filter media surface area > means less restrictive to airflow > means longer service intervals between changes.  Except in special use circumstances (ask Irish about the filter on his mud truck), people use smaller filters because of space limitations or because they like the look of the smaller filter.

2.  whats the difference between ld and hd 350's on plugs that the haynes list?  the light duty r45ts vs. the heavy duty r44t
is one better for power and one economy?  and i imagine delcos are best to use on our trucks?

R = resistor plug
45 = relative heat range (with AC plugs, heat range increases with the number)
C = copper core (more effectively dissipates electrode heat for a broader working heat range)
T = tapered seat
S = projected tip (center electrode extends further into the combustion chamber, keeping the electrode burned clean while better cooling the tip during the intake cycle - it also positions the spark gap deeper into the combustion chamber for improved ignition of the air/fuel mixture)

The heat range and style of plug is tailored to the intended purpose of the vehicle and anticipated engine loading.

The AC R45TS runs slightly hotter than the R44T and, because of its projected tip, has a broader effective heat range than the R44T, which is typically used in HD applications incurring lower RPM and greater engine loading.  In the AC lineup, the R43CTS maybe one of the best general use plugs for the majority of 350 stock daily drivers, as long as the engine doesn't have significant oil consumption issues.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
i am a light driver and try to obtain the best economy usually.  i very rarely tow and even haul anything for that matter.  for the most part this is what i have to drive on a daily basis.  currently, i have the ac r45ts, that i havent installed yet.

as far as the filter, the larger was my first thought, so with that i dont see why i wouldnt put the largest available in there.  currently i have a 4 inch, tall.  i don't know how tall they make them, but i have clearance for at least another 2 inches and probably more.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:40:15 PM by cwilson jr »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
The R45TS plugs gapped at 0.045" will work fine for you and the 14" x 4" tall air filter is more than adequate.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
i think the 14x2 is the smallest i would run on the street. but i think you can smaller i just like the look or it

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »
I've had the best luck with Autolite 26's. Every time I've tried any of the AC plugs, I've been disappointed.

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
Autolite or NGK..

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »
really?  is there any benefits of adding more expensive plugs on these trucks?  i've had several vehicles with stock ac delcos supposedly being the best for those applications, however they were all fuel injected and computer controlled.  that may be the reason.  idk.   i have an 85, so, no computer and the esc has been removed.  if anyone has went with more expensive plugs and have seen a little better results with performance and economy, i may go that route.

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
The motor don't know what it's in could be a go kart wouldn't matter, Autolite and NGK is just way superior it's been proven over and over, once you try them you won't go back. Remember you get what you pay for.. :D

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »
Few years back I walked around the pits at a national NHRA  race. In the sportsman area I saw more Autolite plugs being run than anything else . So I thought why not . Have been well satisfied with them
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
even when i worked at autozone the local "mechanics" and a couple co-workers swore to autolight in chevys and ac in fords

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
Plugs don't know what motor their in, lol...

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
really?  is there any benefits of adding more expensive plugs on these trucks?  i've had several vehicles with stock ac delcos supposedly being the best for those applications, however they were all fuel injected and computer controlled.  that may be the reason.  idk.   i have an 85, so, no computer and the esc has been removed.  if anyone has went with more expensive plugs and have seen a little better results with performance and economy, i may go that route.

The Autolite 26's that I use don't cost very much. I can't find my receipt, but I'm fairly positive that 8 of them are between 15 and 20 dollars.