Author Topic: '87 Silverado Temp Gauge  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Rick62

• New Users
'87 Silverado Temp Gauge
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
At some point a previous owner unhooked the dash temp gauge in my '87 and installed a mechanical gauge under the dash.  I plan to repair the factory gauge.  There's no sign of the wire that used to go the the sender in the block.  Can anyone tell me where it goes though the fire wall? Was it in with the harness that goes to the air compressor?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: '87 Silverado Temp Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
Welcome to the site from California, Rick62!  You should take a few moments and introduce yourself in the Welcome section of the site.

Anytime you post a question about your vehicle, be specific about the Year, Model, Engine, Trans, etc, and any other pertinent information.  I'll assume an R10 or V10, 5.7-K, unless you post differently. 

I believe the dark green temp sender wire passes through the firewall bulkhead connector and shares the loom with the A/C compressor wiring along the left side of the intake manifold, then drops down to the sender from above.  If your lucky, the wire will be tucked into the loom.  If you need wire cavity details for the bulkhead connector, post the details for your vehicle and we'll try to help.   ;)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Sartobuilt

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »
Check the replies on you post at Chevy Talk. The harness for the A/C compressor goes to the passenger side of truck, completely separate. There is sometimes two greens in the A/C harness one goes to the compressor the other goes to the idle compensator. Verify that the wire is in the main connector on the firewall, I would start there, If the original owner pulled the wire out of the cavity you might be looking in the harness a long time.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Check the replies on you post at Chevy Talk. The harness for the A/C compressor goes to the passenger side of truck, completely separate. There is sometimes two greens in the A/C harness one goes to the compressor the other goes to the idle compensator. Verify that the wire is in the main connector on the firewall, I would start there, If the original owner pulled the wire out of the cavity you might be looking in the harness a long time.

I appreciate your reply, Startobuilt.  Your points are well taken.  Let me clarify:  The A/C "harness" and temp sender "wire" run together in plastic "loom" (or run adjacent to one another) to the back of the intake, where they separate - the A/C harness runs right to the passenger side low pressure switch with one added lead joining the ECM harness - the temp sender wire runs left to the bulkhead connector.  To determine if the temp sender wire is "missing" from the bulkhead connector, Rick62 needs to know which cavity the wire is supposed to occupy.  For that, it's best to have vehicle particulars.  As for where one begins looking, take the approach of what the easiest is to access with the knowledge you have available. 

Best
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Sartobuilt

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:47:08 PM »
He asked the same question on another forum, Chevy Talk. Someone posted a picture of the main terminal block with the wire location.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
It's difficult to do better than a picture.   :D
Rich

Offline Rick62

• New Users
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 07:17:04 AM »
I'm sorry if I broke any rules by posting the same question on two different boards.  Some of the initial answers I got weren't very helpful.  But, thanks to everyone who tried to be helpful as opposed to those who were critical. I found it!  Thanks!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:26:20 AM »
Glad you found it!  It pays to use all of your resources; the more eyes looking at something, the more likely it is to be seen....  Check out the "Technical" section of this site where you'll find a wealth of useful information, including general wiring diagrams, by year.  Hope the rest of your project progresses smoothly!   :D
Rich