Author Topic: "Power ACC" fuse keeps blowing  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Jon87V20

• Frequent Member
"Power ACC" fuse keeps blowing
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »
Hi, Everyone:

Having some trouble with the Power ACC 30 Amp fuse in my '87 Suburban V20. This started suddenly when I opened the tailgate. After I closed it I noticed the tailgate window wouldn't roll up with the external key switch, and the electric door locks weren't functioning. Usually, if the tailgate is shut, the fuse won't blow even if I operate the window.

Regardless if the fuse is blown or not, I can usually operate the window with the switch on the dash. If whatever wire is having issues is shorting, trying to close the rear window with the dash switch won't work and only results in the dome lights dimming whenever I press it.

So I've looked at the wires where they enter the tailgate from behind the bumper at the point where they bend and I didn't see any damage or cracks in the insulation there. I also haven't found any insulation issues in the wiring inside the tailgate, however I haven't removed the glass yet to really thoroughly check yet.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the tailgate window motor so I can get a better idea of what is what back there? A long time ago, I spliced into the power wires for up and down and the ground for the window motor so I could put a switch on the interior side of the tailgate for ease of use while camping. Otherwise someone has to crawl to the front every time we need window movement. That splicing hasn't caused any trouble before. There's some other miscellaneous wires in there for what I believe was the defroster or something.

Thanks.
1987 Chevrolet Suburban V20 Silverado
350ci TBI TH400 NP208

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jon87V20

• Frequent Member
Re: "Power ACC" fuse keeps blowing
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
Great! Thanks, bd.
1987 Chevrolet Suburban V20 Silverado
350ci TBI TH400 NP208