73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 4 Wheel Drives

3/4 vs 1 ton Axles

(1/3) > >>

Doppleganger:
I did a search but got alot of stuff that wasn't close, so I'll post this - if its redundant, please forward me to a previous version and delete.

Other than 1/4 ton, what is the actual difference between a 3/4 ton 4x4 and a 1 ton axles? Reason I ask.....I am dismantling my 85 K20 for a full on restoration. Is in great original shape but the PO's son messed and cobbled so much it needs gutted and a do over - plus add some comfy things like power windows, locks and a new AC setup. There is a fella locally that has been building high end race motors for 40 yrs. He can also rebuild dana axles in his sleep. He's pretty much retired now and I get the gist $$ is tight - I have been doing some side work for him and he acts uncomfortable as in he wants to pay something.....so I was thinking I could pick up some 1 ton axles and have him redo those for me ala barter. If there's no real difference - I could give him my 3/4's to go over as well.

Just wondering what it would take to make this truck into a converted 1 ton so to speak. There are 2 K30's in a yard about 45 min from me that would donate the axles and anything else suspension that is needed.

TIA

75gmck25:
I can't verify the info on this page,  but it should be useful.  http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/73-87specs.html

It looks like you may find a D60 front axle in a K30, but the rear axle might be either a 14 bolt FF or 14 bolt SF, depending on the year.    However, you might also find that the K30 has 4.56 gears, while most K20's seem to use 4.10 gears.  Depending on the tire size, either one might work for you.

Bruce

Irish_Alley:
the main thing is the front axle, in a ½ & ¾ ton youll have the dana 44 or 10 bolt. and in the 1 ton youll have the dana 60 with bigger axles shafts. if you dont plan on abusing the truck the dana 44 and 10 bolt will hold up. in my mud truck ive turned 40" tires with the dana 44, but ive also broken a few axle shafts till i put a locker upfront.

so if you dont plan on mudding and not really maxing out your payload i wouldnt worry about an upgrade

Doppleganger:
Thanks fellas - your infinite wisdom (as opposed to my infinite ignorance  ???  ) is much appreciated.

I do haul alot and intend to pull a car trailer (single - no 5th wheel). Wanted a K30 when this one came available. It arrived with frozen front brakes and I was out of town so I had a local shop I know do the front calipers and brake lines. Guy told me that the truck had the front setup from a HD 3/4 ton, but the rear was from a light duty 3/4. ?! It was all Greek to me - but he said he's seen this before and just figured GM used what they had in stock at the time. If I could make it a complete "HD 3/4 ton" - which the book shows has the same weight capacities as a 1 ton - that would be great too.

Is the suspension itself (other than axles) the same otherwise? It all needs redone - a place in Colorado had the suspension I wanted - just have to sell a kidney or something to get it. Dont really want a higher gear ratio - the 4.11 is bad enough. Got a 4L80e to try and help out there too.

Thanks again.

zieg85:
3/4 ton's in 1981 and newer had 14 bolt semi float rear axles and 14 bolt full float axles for the 8600 GVW.  In the different weight limits of the 3/4 ton I am not sure when the 14 bolt FF came into play, all that I know is my 8600 GVW 85C20 has one

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version