Author Topic: Marine Engines  (Read 16117 times)

Offline 327power

• Registered Users
Re: Marine Engines
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
Thats's some really cool info, Blue 82. Great pics.
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »
no its not the impeller is just made to the vanes are reversed from a reg v belt normal rotation pump, the water still flows through the block the same way.
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
Some GM vehicles may be equipped with a reverse-flow cooling system which operates differently than a conventional type cooling system. The specialized components of this system include a gear-driven water pump with cast internal cross-over passages, an inlet-side thermostat and a pressurized high fill coolant reservoir. In this system, coolant is routed from the water pump, directly to the cylinder heads. When the heads are adequately cooled, any accumulated vapors are vented off, and the coolant then circulates through the engine block. After the coolant leaves the engine block, it returns to the water pump, moving through an internal passage into the radiator. There is a thermostat on the inlet side of the pump which meters the coolant temperature as it flows from the radiator and tries to enter the water pump casting. The water pump, which is driven by the camshaft, which is the center of the system, has cast internal passages which route coolant through the engine without sending it through the intake manifold, eliminating possible leaks. The gear-driven pump ensures coolant flow even if the drive belt breaks. The reverse-flow cooling system is advantageous because it reduces the overall cooling system pressure and basically eliminates pitting or disintegration of the water pump and seal. In addition, routing the coolant to the cylinder heads first promotes higher bore temperatures and less ring bore friction, increasing output and horsepower. Due to the increased temperature of the cylinder walls, which created higher oil temperatures, engines with reverse-flow cooling systems may be equipped with an engine oil cooler or use synthetic oil.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »
Some GM vehicles may be equipped with a reverse-flow cooling system which operates differently than a conventional type cooling system. The specialized components of this system include a gear-driven water pump with cast internal cross-over passages, an inlet-side thermostat and a pressurized high fill coolant reservoir. In this system, coolant is routed from the water pump, directly to the cylinder heads. When the heads are adequately cooled, any accumulated vapors are vented off, and the coolant then circulates through the engine block. After the coolant leaves the engine block, it returns to the water pump, moving through an internal passage into the radiator. There is a thermostat on the inlet side of the pump which meters the coolant temperature as it flows from the radiator and tries to enter the water pump casting. The water pump, which is driven by the camshaft, which is the center of the system, has cast internal passages which route coolant through the engine without sending it through the intake manifold, eliminating possible leaks. The gear-driven pump ensures coolant flow even if the drive belt breaks. The reverse-flow cooling system is advantageous because it reduces the overall cooling system pressure and basically eliminates pitting or disintegration of the water pump and seal. In addition, routing the coolant to the cylinder heads first promotes higher bore temperatures and less ring bore friction, increasing output and horsepower. Due to the increased temperature of the cylinder walls, which created higher oil temperatures, engines with reverse-flow cooling systems may be equipped with an engine oil cooler or use synthetic oil.

That would be the LT1 the only GM engine with a gear driven water pump to facilitate  being able to continue to drive the car if the belt broke.
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »
I drove my jeep 3 months ago 4 miles with only a pair of panty hose wrapped around the crank and waterpump  ;D
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
How many idiots driving around today would think to do that ? most drivers today can't even change their own tire. Had a guy have his truck towed into the shop I was working at one day, noticed it was a flat tire, asked him if there was anything else wrong,  he said "Nope, just the flat" I said  why didn't you just put the spare on and save  $70 bucks on a tow, Hes said" Didn't know I had a spare if I do I don't know where it is." At which time I walked to the back of the flat bed and pointed to the spare tire hanging under the bed of the truck. Some people just amaze me how they make it through life.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:10:48 PM by Jim Rockford »
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline Layne

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
Hehe. My g/f's mom locked herself out of her running car the other day. I went out with a coathanger and a pry bar. The coathanger was too flimsy, so I used her antenna. Some people just aren't very ingenuitive any more
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline 327power

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 02:27:46 PM »
True...its funny and sad at the same time that not too many people know how to do much anymore. Its like a new breed of idiots.
But, a lot of people can't do simple repairs on cars because you really can't work on cars today. They are too complicated and emission based. You can't even change spark plugs on alot of 'em. Their designed so the owner would have to bring them to a dealer.
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
You can't even change spark plugs on alot of 'em. Their designed so the owner would have to bring them to a dealer.

I thought changing the spark plugs on my mom's 03 Acura TL would be a pain being a coil on plug, transverse mounted engine and all.  It was a pleasure.  Didn't take that much more time than a plug change on my truck.

I really don't buy into the conspiracy theory that cars being engineered for more complexity to benefit the dealer service dept.  I think the complexity is only increasing out of necessity.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline 327power

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »
Strictly just my opinion, but the complexity is only necessary to meet stricter EPA and federal mandates. I think thats why carburetors are extinct on new production vehicles, not because they are not as "precise" as fuel injection, but that F.I. is better for tailpipe emissions and to meet the federal requirements on MPG. Not that good mileage is bad...but , I can have a 2bbl V8 that gets 20MPG all day.
And, whats up with having 4 or 5 catalytic converters on an exhaust system? You don't even need mufflers with that many obstructions.
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
And, whats up with having 4 or 5 catalytic converters on an exhaust system?

Answer:

to meet stricter EPA and federal mandates
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:50:05 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline 327power

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »
lol...Yeah, I kinda figured that out, I just think its ridiculous. IMO.
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 10:14:36 PM »
Hehe. My g/f's mom locked herself out of her running car the other day. I went out with a coathanger and a pry bar. The coathanger was too flimsy, so I used her antenna. Some people just aren't very ingenuitive any more

Ya, I would of thought of it, but really wouldnt want to bend a antenna. Unless you pryed the door to get to the lock switch...but thats why I have a lock out kit.

Offline Layne

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »
I rolled down her power windows. It was the perfect day too, we got about 8in of snow. lol
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
I drove my jeep 3 months ago 4 miles with only a pair of panty hose wrapped around the crank and waterpump  ;D
I did that on my 61 econoline many years ago, my friends thought I was nuts when I told them what I did. It worked tho. I patched a tire on the same van with a hot glue gun and a sweet N low package. It held air long enough to get to town (25 miles), also used a popsicle stick to engauge the voltage regulator for the alternator so it would charge the battery. I ran it like that for months without any problems. Note: if you do this, make sure to remove the stick when the engine is turned off or you"ll have a dead battery.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab