73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

Need new UJs for a '79 K10, but confused what driveshafts I've got

(1/3) > >>

English:
I need new UJs, but I'm confused about what driveshafts I've got.
I think I've got a two piece rear driveshaft (three UJs between tx-box and rear diff), but according to the parts catalogue I should have a one piece. Am I misunderstanding?

It's the rearmost two that I need, just want to make sure I order the right parts.

On the drawing it's part 6 I don't get. 78-81, "B", one piece rear driveshaft. But mine's two piece, isn't it?

Irish_Alley:
the catalog is saying you could have either or (or) someone could have swapped it at one point in the trucks life. but if you count 3 u-joints there should also be a #7 (carrier bearing) also. best bet is to remove the joint if you can and take that to the parts store that way you know youre getting the right part

JohnnyPopper:
That is a strange looking rear drive shaft!

Can you show a pic of the UJ coming off the transfer case?

You did say it was 4x4, right?

English:

--- Quote from: Irish_Alley on May 02, 2019, 11:31:12 AM ---the catalog is saying you could have either or (or) someone could have swapped it at one point in the trucks life. but if you count 3 u-joints there should also be a #7 (carrier bearing) also. best bet is to remove the joint if you can and take that to the parts store that way you know youre getting the right part

--- End quote ---

Oh I thought the catalogue was saying I should have a one-piece (as it's a '79).
Yes there the carrier bearing is there too.
I'm in the UK so these parts aren't on the shelf here unfortunately...
Yeah I've hardly got any info about the truck's history before it got here, so perhaps something's been changed. Maybe because it's lifted?

English:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on May 02, 2019, 03:08:26 PM ---That is a strange looking rear drive shaft!

Can you show a pic of the UJ coming off the transfer case?

You did say it was 4x4, right?

--- End quote ---

Yes it's 4x4, long bed.
I'll take a better picture later

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version