73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

Transmission purchase question

(1/3) > >>

Chuck Step-a-side:
I'm swapping out my 350 engine on my 1984 Silverado Stepside and thinking about replacing the Turbo 350 transmission.
So my question is - would you purchase a re-manufactured transmission from online vendor or purchase a rebuild from a local transmission guy? The local guy offers all the performances upgrade and 1 year warranty and unlimited miles.

Irish_Alley:
are you upgrading to a 700r4? i would go local as long as they have a good reputation

Chuck Step-a-side:
Yes, I think that upgrading to the 700R4 would a great choice. I know I need to shorten the drive shaft, but what I need to make the overdrive operational is beyond me. There's a lot of info on the internet, but there are not clear on the procedures. Any help would be great.

Stewart G Griffin:
i went with:

http://www.atiracing.com/

It has been working great and i would recommend them to anyone.

They happen to be local to me, but they do ship anywhere.

2) IF the local builder is good , then i  wouldn't have a problem going with them.

3) the 2004R is likely an easier swap if you already have a TH-350. 

zieg85:
I went from a TH350C to a 700R4 in a 1985 C10 a couple of years ago and all I had to do is move the cross member back and drill a couple of new holes in the frame.  The transmissions were very close to the same length and the driveshaft fit fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version