Author Topic: z-bar mounting issues  (Read 5289 times)

Offline 355shortbed

z-bar mounting issues
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »
hey guys havent been on here in a bit. i got a little problem with mounting up my z-bar for clutch engagement. a little back ground on the truck before i get into the problem. its an 84 stepside oringal 305 3sp on column truck 2wd. somone took manual trans out and put th350 behind the turdy 305. i bought truck for 1k and have dumped some beans into it. i had local speed shop build a 383 for it and bought new richmond super t-10 with mcloud sfi bellhousing and flywheel clutch, etc. my problem is that the aftermarket bellhousing doesnt have provision for ball stud that goes into the end of the z-bar to mount up like there is on a stock type bell..... my idea is to make like a y shaped bracket that mounts to the mating surface of block and bell housing and have a hole at the end of (y) to mount ball stud. make it out of 1/8th or 1/4 inch steel, anyone know of other way or a company  that sells a conversion kit or anything?????? thanks for help. if it doesnt make sense let me know and ill try to explain further

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
Re: z-bar mounting issues
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
fyi last truck I took apart, 76 with a 350 that was an inline 6 3 on the tree converted to 3 on the floor then 4 spd. the other end of the ball or z bar went into the spot above the oil filter. Not on the bellhousing but right there on the motor.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline 355shortbed

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »
yea i looked at doing that but then i would have to move the bracket mounted to the frame up, drill new holes for it, then lengthen the clutch pedal push rod, lengthen the push rod to the clutch fork. i have a 77 4wd to look at that is orginal 4spd so i took some measurements from it and may work by making bracket

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
That's weird ours didn't need squat, the same frame bracket location as stock and never moved it, and then  just put the ball into the block.

The truck was supposed to be a 350 stock from the numbers, but had an inline 6 in it when we had it, then a 350 again, and all used the same old 3 speed and alum. bellhousing with no ball stud in it.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline 355shortbed

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
would anyone happen to have any pictures of their z-bar/bell crank?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
This is the one for mine: