Author Topic: Getting some of my old parts parts back, as a whole truck.  (Read 1889 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Getting some of my old parts parts back, as a whole truck.
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »
So I had at one time a chopped, 3" dropped 75 C-10.  I gave it to a buddy when he crashed his(my cab and stuff were ruined anyway).  He has since put the truck together and now wants rid of it.  He needs a motor for his 4x4.  Another friend of mine is trading the guy a 305 for the truck.  I am in turn going to trade him my complete TPI system for the truck, edelbrock 1406 carb, and Holley Dominator II intake manifold.  The efi stuff will be going on his son's 89 trans am, which is what it was on originally(I sold his son the car).  I am going to be doing a lot of work to the truck, getting a good driveline since this one is about an inch too long but has that taper crap at both ends.  I know nothing about lowered truck, but it does have a 4x4 cab on it now, what are my options for transmissions... or better yet, what are good ones.  I have access to a fresh TH350c lockup trans, would that be okay for MILD performance and daily use with say a 4.11 eaton locker rearend?

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
Re: Getting some of my old parts parts back, as a whole truck.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »
a 350c is definitely strong enough, it wont be as easy on fuel as a built 700r4.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »
You are going to HATE 4.11's with a TH350C even with the lockup.  I would keep it around 3.42.  They are perfectly fine behind a mild motor.  Cabs aren't an issue on lowering, the tunnel height is just different.  You can put any trans in there.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »
Thanks for the advise thus far.  I definately see the point on the 4.11's.  At 3 bucks a gallon mpg is very important.  I am done with my pullin truck so now its time to build the street/mild strip truck.  The only reason I liked that it had the 4x4 cab was for the posibility of putting a manual 4 or 5 speed... maybe even a six if I could get it.  I think if I go manual it will be a 4 though.  That will be later since it has a rebuilt TH350 and supposedly a 327 in it right now.  I would like to use the th350c later, but I also had a 1990 3/4 ton 2wd given to me today.  It has a huge auto trans in it.  It has overdrive, but the case looks like a th400 but with a great big rectangular pan.  Any chance at this being the fabled 4L80 trans?  It will be in my buddy's truck, but I would then get my corvette 700R4 given back, which could go in the lowered truck of mine, it has the kickdown cable and not the all electric type, so I think I could make it work.  Also have a set of headers from a 1986 El Camino SS, might they fit on the truck?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:04:39 PM by 1976Scottsdale »