Author Topic: "Lowered" Pitman arm.. what do you do? Don't use one?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
"Lowered" Pitman arm.. what do you do? Don't use one?
« on: November 20, 2023, 03:08:36 PM »
Read somewhere with a 2.5" drop, won't need one. Though that doesnt even sound right.

So I have used bing, google, searched here and a few other forums and the only pitman arms i could come up with for 2" or more of drop were a skyjacker CA50, Speedway offers this: 2 Inch Offset Vega Pitman Steering Arm, Drilled for 5/8 Inch Bolt. Though it doesn't even look proper. Summit and Jegs carry it, but nowhere does it say its for lowered applications. This is OER 18755.

Only other thing  i saw was Borgeson had a set of PA'S but i couldn't determine if i would be able to use those.

I already had the stock height PA. An AC D special.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: "Lowered" Pitman arm.. what do you do? Don't use one?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 11:44:49 AM »
There is no reason to change the pitman arm on a 73-87.  That is why you can't find one.  doesn't matter if it is lowered 1" or 5"

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 12:41:03 PM »
I was going to say you'll need a 'lowered' idler arm too...The geometry of the pitman/center drag link/idler doesn't change.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »
I was not aware of that.

See, the part about me not being up on the knowledge end of things, i will look things up in a sec before i ask, don't get me wrong. I haven't found one post that said what you just said. And yeah its a lot of "mechanics" on the net, but this fella went into great detail about why a stock PA on a lowered app will bind up the idler and possibly other things. Which caused me to think to myself, shoot, if thats so, all that stuff is new going in there, don't want that.

BUT, I'll trust you all day because we have the same truck. So I can run with the moog 6143 or similar stock ride height, that is a relief. My options are vast now.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 06:05:34 PM »
I have been lowered trucks since 1986, no such thing nor animal for 73-87 C/K trucks.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »
I didn't think so. I have never seen anything saying that about an idler arm so I thought i would ask. I appreciate the clarification.

Another update coming soon. I would have even more to update, but unfortunately, my day job is shutting down officially 1st of year, so i had to put on hold the rest of my purchases for my 87. Really all thats left is a couple suspension items and my fuel tank.