Author Topic: "Multi-pickup" pickup questions.  (Read 2438 times)

Offline 84ChevyVleet

"Multi-pickup" pickup questions.
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
Hi, so I recently bought a 1984 Chevy C10 Scottsdale. That's what the body is at least, but the engine and transmission are a rebuilt 350 and the trans pan says hydra-matic. The body was taken off the 1/2 ton frame and put on a 3/4 ton frame. I was told the frame is a C20 frame but I know all C models are RWD 2WD and all K models are 4WD. This pickup now has 4WD so I'm leaning to a K20 frame but I don't know how compatible the C's and K's are with swapping parts. I'm just wondering if there are any key parts or areas that will help me identify what I all have on this pickup. Things like what 3/4 ton frame, where is the engine vin on the block (vehicle vin won't match engine vin since replaced 305 with 350), etc. I just want to be getting the right parts when I order them.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: "Multi-pickup" pickup questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:44:08 AM »
there's no difference that ive seen between ton and ton frames. now to tell if the frame is 4x4 or 4x2 look at the front spring perch it should be riveted on. if its been swapped then more than likely its bolted on. also 4x2 and 4x4 frames are the same except for some holes here and there. The block casting number on small block and big block Chevy V8 motors is located on a ledge found at the rear of the block, most often on the driver's side.
then use This
If you cant tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 84ChevyVleet

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
I'll have to check all that out. If there is bolts instead of rivets it would be safe to say its a K20 frame. Would it be safe to assume that pretty much everything that's on the frame (brakes, hubs, exhaust, etc) would all be K20 as well?

Offline 84ChevyVleet

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure it's not a 4x2, I doesn't have individual front susp. Solid front axle on leaf springs. So I'm 100% sure it's a K20 4x4 frame. I can't seem to find the area that has the engine vin code. My heads to big to see all the way in the rear of the block, but I did find a "1 B" raised just above the valve cover towards the front of the block on drivers side, if that means anything... I'm still kind of a newbie to working on pickups, this is my first one ever and the C10 Scottsdale has always been my dream pickup. I grew up with my father owning a 69' C10, so I have a good idea of what to look for but still am dipping my toes in the water yet.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »
a 4x4 in our years is going to be a solid front suspension no mater if its 4x2 frame or not. in 88 is when gm went to independent front suspension. so that being said if the frame is 4x4 or 4x2 look at the front spring perch it should be riveted on. someone can put ton or 1 ton axles under a ton frame/springs all they have to do is get the right u bolts and plates.
Get a mirror or use your phone to snap a picture of the numbers on the engine block. clean it up whipe off the dirt and grease to see them good
If you cant tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:08:32 AM »
8 Lug 4x4 with either a semi floating or full floating 14 bolt rear end, & a Dana 44 or 10 bolt front end is considered a K20.
If the above has a Dana 60 front end its a K30.
6 lug with a 12 bolt rear end 10 bolt front end, or both front and rear 10 bolts is a K10.

I always use the numbers stamped into the block just ahead of the right side head, kinda under the alternator to identify motors.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs