Author Topic: 1989 crew cab cummins  (Read 43651 times)

Offline crewcabfred

Re: 1989 crew cab cummins
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
oh, ok... we will be sure to do that... thanks... Was this a frustrating swap?

That is so sick, you must give away some details about that swap.

Here’s a quick rundown on the swap. Forgive the rough nature of the explanation: did it in a hurry but if anybody has any questions or would like me to elaborate on something  I would be glad to answer.

It might be a little more difficult with a 2wd because of the engine crossmember and coil buckets.    For me the most difficult thing was figuring out the radiator, innercooler, and ac condenser placement.  On the 94-98.5 dodges(and probably through 2002)  the radiator, innercooler, and condenser are all bolted together closely and neatly as a unit.  I made my Gm radiator and condenser work for the swap, but i had to put the innercooler in place of the condenser, and remount the condenser in the front.  If i had to do it allover again,  i would just build the front of the truck to accommodate the dodge setup from the fan shroud to the condenser.

You can install a 1 inch body lift or raised hood to make the swap easier, but regardless of what some people say, it can be done with body in its stock form. i did. 

2wd: you will have to do something with the coils , get some stiffer aftermarket ones or find some from another stock application that are stiffer

4wd: lift springs or have custom ones made to accommodate the extra weight.

ac compressor clearance.    It will not clear the frame how it is.   I had to make a cutout and beef the frame back up to clear.   However,   somebody has since then found a factory cummins application that come in some of kenworth’s smaller b series trucks that moves the compressor and alternator around to clear the frame and i dont think it is that expensive.   I can find the part number it is somewhere out the on the internet.

alternator: the dodge one sucks!!! another thing i would do differently.   The standard old gm alternator like the one that came on the truck originally is self regulating, and works a lot better that the dodge one that requires a regulator, and a ton of wiring. From 1991.5 and up, the dodge alternators were regulated by the ecm.  I did not want to use the giant ecm just to use it as a regulator, so i bought the external firewall mounted ones that came on dodge trucks in the 80s. Unfortunately these regulators are also NOTORIOUS for breaking.   i have gone through 4 so far.   There is also a stock cummins mount (or make one) that uses that gm style alternator, then all you do is have to find a pulley that works.   I strongly suggest using the gm alternator.   If you do use the dodge one, dont use the dodge regulator like i did.

fuel,   drop tanks and clean.  run fuel lines to cummins supply pump. 

wiring:  if using a engine from a 1989-1993 dodge, with a rotary pump, simply hook up ignition hot to the hold solenoid and done
however,  if you are using a engine from 94-98.5 with a p7100 inline pump,   their is a relay that operates a pull and then hold function on the fuel shutoff solenoid.  This has to be hooked up correctly or it can catch on fire so i hear.   Mine hasn't caught fire so i think i got it right lol.  Starter just hooks up with same wire, i just had to shorten it to clean it up.

hydroboost.    If the pick up has hydroboost brakes, just take off the reservoir can from the chevy powersteering pump and put it on the dodge.   Then you get the extra return port for the hydroboost (the cummins uses the same saginaw pump as gm or at lease its similar and the reservoir fits)

vacuum: if the chevy has a vacuum booster for the brakes, the cummins has a vacuum pump right inline with the powersteering pump, simply hook it up to the booster.   Otherwise, just use the vacuum pump to operate the gm ac controls in the cab.

transmission crossmember: stock one and mount worked for me on my nv4500, just moved it back and re drilled the holes, and shorted the intermediate driveshaft. 

If u use a standard transmission

Getrag transmission: came on 89-93   notorious for coming apart btw the 4 friends i have that own first gen dodge cummins that have all replaced theirs, one even twice.   Nothing you can really do to fix them

Nv4500 Transmission: came on 94 and up.  notorious for the fifth gear falling off the main shaft.  Can be fixed with a upgraded fifth gear locking nut.  otherwise great transmission.   

clutch:   i used the dodge slave cylinder and a ford master and line from a early 90s f350.  you can also go with universal aftermarket parts which will cost more but is a cleaner looking and working alternative. 

Engines:
early 89-93 engines are good and inexpensive

94-98.5 are great!   the inline pump design allows for much more power.  The motors come with much more power stock as well.  These motors were available with 4 different horsepower from the factory depending on year and transmissions.  I have the highest one stock at 215.  i have also bumped the fuel plate and advanced the time which has gave it quite a boost.

24 valves and HPCR(High pressure common rail) engines.  Same issues as far as fitting, just much more wiring being that they are electronic. 

DOWEL PIN!   there is a dowel pin in the front gear case of these motors which can rattle loose and destroy the motor.   Research dowel pin on cummins it will come up allover the place.

motor mounts:   some people build and sell them.  I would make them personally that way you know the motor will be placed in the truck where you want it.

you will have to trim the very front xmember the clear the harmonic balancer

ac lines: save all parts from the factory set up on the dodge and chevy as they might be used when having a shop build new lines for the truck

sound deadening:  They are loud! too loud.   while the motor is out i would recommend spaying bed liner, undercoating, or lizard skin sound deadening on the firewall to cut down on the noise.

im sure there is something i forgot to mention, just ask I enjoy helping.

-Fred

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:38:39 PM »
awesome info!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 07:43:29 AM »
Great Information :)

I am looking to putting a 96 12V with an NV4500 in My 84 1 Ton 2wd.

Question: With the NV4500 not having a Speedo Gear how did you get the speedo to work@, is the a box to buy or something?

Thanks Again
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 08:36:11 AM »
well i have a 4wd and the speedo gear is in the transfercase so i was home free.

I think 2wd nv4500's do have a a speedo gear if im not mistaken.    They sell the replacement parts for them hear:
http://quad4x4.com
and
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500.htm

Call high impact and they will tell you what to do they have been very helpful in the past.

Gm used the transmissions as well starting in 1992 (everybody will tell you 1993, but my dads 92 has one)

You can do custom configurations with the transmission being that many of the parts enterchange.   For example i have a dodge nv4500 with a gm output shaft installed to work with my gm transfercase.   

Im sure there is a way to make your setup work

Hope this helps -Fred

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Thanks for the Info :)

It would probably jest be easier to pick up a VSS  Dash assembly out of a 90 - 91 Suburban?

Thanks
Dan
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
Sounds like something to look it too...      News to me  ;D i wasent even aware a 90-91 sub had a vss.  Learn something new everyday i guess.   

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
how about that rock buggy?
83 C10 Pro-touring, Forged 408 Stroker LS, Paxton supercharger, T56 magnum, Detroit 9", and horrible paint

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
buggy is still not finished here are some wheeling pictures http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61289&id=502534028&l=9501ce6654.       It is built from the ground up out of dom tubing.   4 link from and rear and held up by air shocks. I will try get some more recent pics of it.   It now has a jeep hood and grill on it and looks a lot more complete     

Offline campcrf

• Registered Users
  • stroked
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »
crewcabfred....
   Thank you for all the info and advise.. we havent started the swap yet (just put the bags in).. but i printed your info for my buddy to look over before we start... we will let you know when we begin and hopefully we dont run into too many problems... talk to ya soon.
-smile-... Just because its contageous

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
buggy is still not finished here are some wheeling pictures http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61289&id=502534028&l=9501ce6654.       It is built from the ground up out of dom tubing.   4 link from and rear and held up by air shocks. I will try get some more recent pics of it.   It now has a jeep hood and grill on it and looks a lot more complete     
that thing is really awesome, its nice to see some custom tubework, up here in bew england its few and far between, but my brother and i are trying to hold the fabrication legacy.good stuff
83 C10 Pro-touring, Forged 408 Stroker LS, Paxton supercharger, T56 magnum, Detroit 9", and horrible paint

Offline frito-bandito

• Registered Users
  • Hillbilly Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
Man that's awesome stuff! The more I read on this swap, the harder it seems, but the more I'm ready to try it!
1981 Chevy dually 350 4spd. (One piece at a time)
1994 GMC C1500 4.3L 4L60E. (340K Daily Driver/Resto-Mod)
1998 GMC C1500 5.0L 4L60E (179K Daily Driver)

physco-billy

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
Man that's awesome stuff! The more I read on this swap, the harder it seems, but the more I'm ready to try it!

I agree, it looks tempting

You are agreeing with yourself....-Admin.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:42:32 PM by Captkaos »

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
It is a rewarding swap for sure.   But like i said earlier.  If you are going to drive it daily go overboard with the sound deadning inside and out!  The noise is my only complaint, that and the fact that people keep flagging me down asking if i want to sell it........

The swap isnt really that difficult.     The main thing is to have everything you are going need for the swap right there the first time.

Offline knightrider84

• Brothers don't shake hands... BROTHERS GOTTA HUG!!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »
bad swap!!!!     I'm planing on a cummins swap in my 74 2wd crewcab some day. First on the list is the 4wd conversion, any tips or tricks I can use during my 2wd to 4wd conversion that would help my cummins  switch later?   ..........or maybe i should do both at once..........

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
bad swap!!!!     I'm planing on a cummins swap in my 74 2wd crewcab some day. First on the list is the 4wd conversion, any tips or tricks I can use during my 2wd to 4wd conversion that would help my cummins  switch later?   ..........or maybe i should do both at once..........

definitely do them both at once if possible...       driveshafts, shifter(s) placement, spring rates, tranmission x member, and other things im sure im forgetting will change with the swap.

You also would really need to swap in a dana 60 front axle to hold up to the extra weight of the cummins and the crewcab.