Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35837 times)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
Dejavu, hydro'd a 454 just as we were taking off for a desert trip.

I had a water injector that was the bomb back in the day, I used to 'mix' up stuff like rubbing alcohol, peroxide.

I primed the delivery tube, then got distracted and sure enough, siphoned a big gulp right into Number 8, bent rod, no trip for that truck.

Good thing my buddy had a 1 ton to borrow.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2020, 03:26:41 PM »
I’m really thinking the universe gave me a pass this time. I definitely will not and cannot claim to be an engine builder by any stretch. Any credit for the two BIG mistakes I’ve made not immediately grenadine the engine have to go to dumb luck or the guy that built the short block. In addition to Friday’s hydrolock fun I also ran a paper towel completely through the engine. Unintentionally, obviously. I’d used the blue, paper “shop towels” to block off the intake ports; head and intake, and apparently didn’t get one out before I put the intake back on.

I fired the engine up and: “Oh Crap!!!” Little bits of charred shot out of both tailpipes... I guess serendipity shines on the stupid. No immediate or obvious damage from that bit of foolishness either, but it won’t surprise me at all if this engine doesn’t last the longest. Oh well... in needs more cam anyway.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2020, 10:54:26 PM »
I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out the transmission issues... but I haven’t had time yet to make the needed parts to rectify the situation.

I’m 2/3 of the way there:

That’s the new throttle cable, remote-TPS sender, coil bracket. 

It’s not done yet...

but it’s really nice.

Turns out my transmission issues are most likely resultant from me running the remote TPS 180• out. The TCI TPS instructions ain’t comprehensive... to say the least. I picked the wrong option of two. Their product works as advertised... the fix is simple enough... in theory. The unit delivers a 0-5V signal via a cable-actuated rheostat. Pull the cable out and the reading changes within that scale. It just happens that if you’re 180• out, off idle and partial throttle reads the opposite. And vice versa.

The very-nicely-packaged-remote-TPS-unit should work as advertised when it’s retracted-by-spring state represents full-open-throttle.

If I didn’t do irreparable harm to the transmission already. Especially seeing as it’s the 200k-mile original tranny.

I definitely didn’t do it any favors.

Time will tell.

It is rather funny now... imagine a backwards TV cable on a non-computer automatic transmission. Barely any throttle holds the current gear... HARD. And no throttle forces up shifts no matter what the engine is asking for.

After what I’ve done already it’s nothing. I just have to make the parts... then make them work... then start fixing the other stuff.

And to think I thought I’d be driving MONTHS ago.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2020, 02:57:25 PM »
I finally finished my cable bracket:

The forecast called for rain tomorrow, but Sunday is supposed to be nice. Hopefully I can make the time to get these parts installed and take another drive.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
Now THAT"S over-engineering!   ;D
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2020, 08:04:04 AM »
I don’t guess projects of this scope are ever truly “done”... That said, I’m pretty sure I’m rounding the bend on the first three phases of this project. I may still have a transmission in my future, even with a large cooler installed the trans oil temps are higher than I’d like, but otherwise most things are working well. Some small “punch-list” items remain, but the truck runs like a scalded cat and turns lots of heads. I’ve hopped in and driven to work the last couple days with absolutely no concerns:

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
Thanks for taking us on this journey Jeremy!
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2020, 09:25:31 AM »
Thanks to all for coming along! I hope I made it worth your whiles.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2020, 02:39:54 AM »
What a ride! Thanks man!

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2021, 09:56:10 AM »
Nothing to report on the suburban. All the same, I hope everyone is doing as well as possible, I’ve missed the community here and without any updates to the Chevy...

Now for something completely different, but also kind of the same while being diametrically and philosophical opposites.

Oil and water...

Chevy and Ford...

“A Tale of Three 8-Lug Trucks”

Three years ago I couldn’t imagine buying AN 8-Lug, medium duty truck. Now I own two. I’ve bought THREE! Two of them are FORDS?!? and somehow I’m okay with all of it???

Remember the white diesel F350?!? The one I hate??? Primarily because I begrudgingly respect it while having no need for such a thing?

I was at the wheel this day:

In the truest since of the word, that tiny shitbox Hyundai TOTALED that massive white truck! The Ford running gear weighs more than the entire Hyundai, yet she couldn’t have hit the Ford in a worse spot. No sense even bothering with insurance... the Ford is valued at $908.

To add insult to injury I got the ticket... “improper turning”.

I think the cop “read the room”. Georgia state law doesn’t allow for a “no-fault” accident on a public motorway. He HAD to write a ticket and chose the path of least resistance. He had the very distraught young lady, in the very new, financed and fully insured Hyundai and the calm and collected dude in the old and paid-for (and barely insured) truck. She screamed at him just because, while I picked up the leftover Hyundai pieces. No matter what, he was stuck at the scene with this frantic woman until her inoperable car left the scene or she did.

I took the ticket, climbed in through the passenger side, and was able to drive off.

The Ford needs a new cab and while it isn’t gonna get any prettier, it was already a FrankenTruck and it’s worth fixing. I have the means and wherewithal to find another cab and swap it. I’ll spend another grand or two on a truck I didn’t own and don’t want because it’s the absolute best value decision.

In the interim, my girlfriend still desires a vehicle with the capacity of pulling her horsey trailer. After the last year that’s something I can’t take from her... even if she doesn’t use it. Her world has shrunk far more than mine this last year and she needs what the stupid big smelly Ford represents... even if it’s just walking the dog past the parked truck.

In one of those rare, serendipitous moments, this truck became available the day before the accident:

The previous and original owner was the farmer that boards my girlfriends horse. That’s her trailer beyond the front of the truck. The fact that it’s a Ford makes me want to vomit... but otherwise I got a really good deal on a really nice, all original and complete, very capable 3/4-ton truck. 90% is as it left the Ford plant. The only things that aren’t OEM or direct replacement are the shifter knob and lever and the factory AM/FM/TAPE radio.

It’s so complete I have to original warrantee cards AND the Ford-factory trailer adapter.

I choked back my Ford-induced desire to vomit, handed the old man 35 hundred dollar bills and made both of us happy with the transaction.

Despite being a vehicle I absolutely never saw myself wanting, needing or being happy with, I’m gonna keep it even after I get the other Ford fixed. Weirder still, I’m not gonna change or modify it beyond the barest minimum.

I have to cut the bed for a gooseneck hitch. I’m putting that off as long as I can, possibly indefinitely, if I can fix the white truck quickly enough. I’m gonna swap the automatic locking hubs for a set of Warn manual lockers. And then I’m gonna leave it alone, do the barest of maintenance and fix or “fix” it only IF and when it needs it.

Ironically enough, the same week the brown truck came up for sale and I crashed the white one, a Ford dually axle fell into my lap... almost literally:

We used a couple of E450 school buses at work and I could put the axle in the scrap bin or truck bed for the same amount of effort.

Version 2.1 of the diesel 350 will be a dually flatbed... if the title was in my name I might put an engine-driven welder on that flatbed, just because. Thankfully it’s not mine, so I can save that expense.

I’ll do my best to not add too much Ford-garbage to this forum dedicated to far-superior vehicles, but I hope I can conclude both of these projects before 2022...

Be safe.

Jeremy

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2021, 07:49:15 PM »
"We used a couple of E450 school buses at work and I could put the axle in the scrap bin or truck bed for the same amount of effort."

Most interesting part to me..based on what you so for work I'm now curious of what the word "used" pertains to. Hhhmmm ::)
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
One got a cage and a powder cannon installed:

The big thing at the bottom of the third pic is the powder cannon. The smaller guys are sand mortars. They throw a wad of wet sand to blow the windows out.

The cage wasn’t really necessary here. It’s really hard to get any vehicle to go over long-ways and we weren’t even trying for it here, so there was little chance of it happening.

The axle came out of a second bus that got mounted in this rotisserie:

It allows safe filming of the interior of a barrel roll spin. We built this one for the Schwartzennegar film: “Sabotage”, almost a decade ago and have used it again for a number of projects. “Anchorman 2”, “American Made” and one of the recent Spider-Man films are some of them.

No big loss on the E-450’s. They were both 6.0L Powerstroke powered... the one that ran barely did so and the other one arrived without an engine. The maintenance notes under the hood indicated it had been a nightmare it’s entire life and I’m guessing the engine was blown we the production got it.

Be safe

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2021, 01:22:51 PM »
Bringing new meaning to the term "smoke and mirrors"  ;D

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2021, 08:25:09 PM »
You have an exciting job/life there J.F! No wonder you're so good at metal work. You get a lot of experience from your job.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2021, 08:03:27 PM »
How many chickens can I fit in that rotisserie...
Definitely impossible to"waste anything with a 6.0PS.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart