Author Topic: 83 Lost crank and signals  (Read 557 times)

Offline slideways

83 Lost crank and signals
« on: May 27, 2023, 06:54:53 AM »
So I'm getting closer to being done restoring this K10 swb 350. I had the cab off and on during the process but didn't touch the column or fuse block. When reassembling it I had no signals at one point and other weird taillight issues and realized I didn't have the body grounded back in the taillight harness. Put all that together and put both new flashers in. Now I had everything working. The truck always cranked and fired perfect through the process. I secured the harness to the frame rail with retainers the other day and last night went to operate everything. I suddenly have no crank, no horn, no flashers or signals. I have park lamps,brake, and reverse lamps. I don't see any burn marks on the fusible links by the starter but I'm not familiar with them. I have good ground at the alternator, the frame next to the fuel pump, the firewall, the bed/taillight area. I think the only other ground is by the fuel tank which is also connected. Fuses look fine.
I'm trying to figure out what's related here that would cause this all of the sudden. Ignition switch? Ground I don't know about?

Offline slideways

Re: 83 Lost crank and signals
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 03:49:40 PM »
Update: I have power at all fuses even the flashers and signals that aren't blinking. On the ignition switch I have key on power to the flat connector blue wire. On the other 2 wire connector I have start position power to the yellow wire with both unplugged from the ignition switch.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 06:46:30 PM »
Make sure the cab is grounded to the frame and the engine is grounded to the cab. Should be a ground from the battery to the engine as well.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 07:22:08 PM »
That pesky B-, what a pain!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction