Author Topic: Need help  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Captain J

Need help
« on: October 17, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »
Greetings
I’ve a 1986 GMC Sierra C 2500, with 454 engine (4bbl carb) & manual transmission.
While in the workshop it caught fire near the distributor (cause unknown). It consumed the distributor, the firewall wires, hoses, junction box, and 2 relays.
I had pictures before the fire for the engine and the firewall, pictures before & after 👻👌🏻
I managed to buy a distributor, junction box, but couldn’t find the relays. The relays located at the firewall to the left of the distributor as you stand in front of the engine
I don’t know the part numbers or what they are for, how many wires, where the wires come from, etc
The hoses for the cruise control are missing,
The wiper motor doesn’t work
I need your help on that.

Second
I did a compression test, cold start (outside air temp is 35C), I need your opinion
These are the numbers:
#1-130
#3-155
#5-160
#7-150
#2-160
#4-170
#6-165
#8-160
Is this a good engine? 🤔

Third, this truck sat for 8 months, I did found fuel mixed with engine oil. I replaced oil & filter, new fuel pump, replaced the carburetor with refurbished one, replaced spark plugs and wires.

;D, ✋🏻
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:43:53 AM by Captain J »

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »
Someone probably bypassed fusible links, that's usually the cause of electrical fires. Why can't you upload pics?

Compression test results were with a battery charger connected, choke open and wide open throttle?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 07:56:48 PM »
If it's been sitting that long, and who knows how long ago it was serviced, you may have sticking rings and items in the valve train.

When you get it running I would do a double flush: 1 with cheap Penzoil, drive it for a half hour, dump. 2nd add quality oil of your choice, drive some more.

Let cool, then test comp again, heeding VZ's advice. You may bring the levels closer. If not start with a valve job, measuring the cylinder wear at the top of your ring travel. If they are good, have the heads checked for leaking/burned valves.

Some would say it's less work just to add MOTOR Flush, but some would cringe. I mean, it's better than nothing, but you're adding it to cruddy oil. If that's your route, I would add 2 quarts of it.

I bought a low miles Volvo years ago that had not been serviced, running rough, oil black. Did my thing, afterward she purred like a kitten.

'to each his own' ;)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 07:58:32 PM »
Search this site for PIXresizer, a software app that shrinks your photos to a usable size.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Captain J

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 06:35:55 AM »
Someone probably bypassed fusible links, that's usually the cause of electrical fires. Why can't you upload pics?
I’m not sure

Compression test results were with a battery charger connected, choke open and wide open throttle?
I tried every way, compressed, different format,
I’ll try

Offline Captain J

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 06:37:23 AM »
If it's been sitting that long, and who knows how long ago it was serviced, you may have sticking rings and items in the valve train.

When you get it running I would do a double flush: 1 with cheap Penzoil, drive it for a half hour, dump. 2nd add quality oil of your choice, drive some more.

Let cool, then test comp again, heeding VZ's advice. You may bring the levels closer. If not start with a valve job, measuring the cylinder wear at the top of your ring travel. If they are good, have the heads checked for leaking/burned valves.

Some would say it's less work just to add MOTOR Flush, but some would cringe. I mean, it's better than nothing, but you're adding it to cruddy oil. If that's your route, I would add 2 quarts of it.

I bought a low miles Volvo years ago that had not been serviced, running rough, oil black. Did my thing, afterward she purred like a kitten.

It runs ok, but I’ll do it, thanks
'to each his own' ;)

Offline Captain J

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 06:43:12 AM »
Search this site for PIXresizer, a software app that shrinks your photos to a usable size.
I converted it from jpg to gif and it worked 😍

Offline Captain J

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 07:16:52 AM »

Regarding the compression test,
Truck battery
Throttle wide open (carb is 4bbl QuadraJet with electric choke)
5 cranks for each cylinder