Author Topic: Working on the crew cab  (Read 13616 times)

Offline bairleafarm

Working on the crew cab
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »
I have had many a many square body's over the years.  Most were Pre digital age and a time when we spent more time driving them and working on them then we did having photo shoots with them.  I have been looking for one for a couple years years now and it seems the crew cabs in this area are near impossible to find at a cheap price.  I saw a post on Facebook and this girl was calling my name.  I didn't have the funds and I thought 3k for a two wheel drive truck was steap.  They kept bumping the post and a month or two later I came home with it for half the asking price.  It's everything I want except 4wd but that will come later.  I've got several things I'll be doing and while most of it isn't complicated I know that we all like pics. 

Here are the pics from the for sale ad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline bairleafarm

Re: Working on the crew cab
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
Cab corners and rockers are shot as are the doors.  Sunday I pulled the seats and interior and found the drivers floor board gone.  The passenger side should be salvageable.  I won't get all the rust fixed before winter but would at least like to get it cleaned up, primed, and painted so it doesn't continue to eat the truck.

At least the back isn't that bad.

I thought this was time frame appropriate for the truck.

Offline Kren420

• 1986 C10 Silverado
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
Half the fun of working on these old trucks is finding all the old nick nacks that got lost along the way.  Like opening a time capsule.  Should be a sweet ride when it's finished.

Offline bairleafarm

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »
I was hoping to find something cool.   23 cents is all I found.   The PO did a great job of cleaning it out.

I've got days of rust repair.   I've never done it but at least I'm mechanically inclined.  Places like this will be hard for me.

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:49 PM »
Just looking at all that rust gives me a headache. Best of luck with that.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
welcome to the crew cab family from maryland. i need to start ripping my truck apart but first i need to get another family vehicle for the kids lol
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bairleafarm

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:29:37 PM »
I have decided to put the rust repair on hold until spring.   After cleaning up it turned out the damage was worse than what I've thought and I don't want to dig in this close to winter.

I have been thinking about the diesel and 4x4 conversions.   I sure you ask why would I covert all this when I could easily buy a different truck.   Mainly because I don't mind working on stuff and 2. Because this truck was calling my name from the first day I saw it.   I'm sure you understand.

Offline bairleafarm

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »
I am looking at this truck hopefully tomorrow.  The guy put a engine in it and it hasn't shifted right since.   It only has 1st and reverse.    It may be blasphemy putting my body on a newer frame but in the long run it will make life easier.   Plus a stronger frame and it's already got the 6.5 in it.

I'll assume is the 4l80e.  Any compete guesses as to why it's not shifting?   

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 06:51:59 AM »
well, imo the 6.5s are junk. not necessarily when theyre running right but when they decide to not run or spit and sputter around. what year is that one? but i would look at the tps or some sensor (rpm or such) on the engine. the 4l80e needs the computer to tell it when to shift. since he just changed the motor i would assume it has something to do with that or a sensor on the motor
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 07:24:23 AM »
That bodystyle crew cab is 4" longer in wheelbase that the 73-87(91) so if you body swap it you are going to have to address that at some point.  As for that frame being stronger, I would say it was relative.

Offline bairleafarm

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
Since I run flatbeds I'm hoping the length difference won't be that big of a deal.   They are custom made so it should all work but since the trade didn't happen I suppose it doesn't matter.    The quest for 4wd continues.  I may have to end up buying a shorter framed truck and lengthening it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:32:11 PM by bairleafarm »

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 12:31:13 AM »
As for that frame being stronger, I would say it was relative.

I know they did start boxing the front part of the frame on the new body style.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
But that was only the front section..
If you are running a flatbed it should be a non issue.

Offline bairleafarm

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »
But that was only the front section..
If you are running a flatbed it should be a non issue.
That's true.  I was thinking about that this morning.    The runners of the flatbed are so much stiffer than the regular bed so it makes it a mute point.

Offline bairleafarm

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »
Here is the parts truck for the 4wd conversion.  Its titled as a 1976.  but I have a feeling its not.  I know the front clip is newer.  Shes 1 ton 4x4.  Its gotten cool enough that I don't think ill do the conversion this year.  Ill drive this yellow beast for the winter and do the conversion in the spring.  This will give me the winter to get the random interior parts I need and get all my body panels ordered.  I also want to get a little mig as I am not really in the mood to use the stick welder.