Author Topic: Trouble starting - is my next step to troubleshoot correct?  (Read 481 times)

Offline ih8vols

Trouble starting - is my next step to troubleshoot correct?
« on: December 08, 2023, 08:23:37 PM »
I have a Frankenstein C10. Found the original owner and she said it’s ‘77 cab, ‘79 engine, ‘76 electrical and ‘75 short bed. The title says it a ‘79.

I replaced the engine with a 2001 LS. Ran great for 3 years.

Back in the fall I went to start it one morning and it wouldn’t start. I’d turn the key, fuel pump clicked on and nothing else would happen. Radio and everything lights up. I finally put it in neutral and it started right up.

Couple weeks go by and it gets to where I can only start it in neutral. It slowly went from 2-3 tries to start to 15+.

I replaced the neutral safety switch thinking that was it. Same problem.

Next I replaced the ignition switch. Still the same problem.

My next check was going to be the rack and sector gear in the steering column. However,   shows those are only in the 79-87 models.

Should I still check to see if I have a rack and sector? Or can you think of something else I should check? Could it be the starter? I don’t feel like it is, but maybe?

Really don’t want to get into the steering column if I don’t have to. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: Trouble starting - is my next step to troubleshoot correct?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »
Does it crank the engine over, or just nothing?
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline ih8vols

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 03:23:06 PM »
There’s nothing when I turn the key. Then when the magic key turn happens it starts like normal

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 04:55:29 PM »
I had the same issue a short while ago and it was the ignition switch which I replaced, then because I like tinkering I dismantled the old one cleaned all the contacts and put it all back together and refitted it and so far all is good, I know you said you replaced yours but if you still have the old one it might be worth stripping it and cleaning the contacts? My new one (made in Taiwan) did work but the standard of replacement parts is variable to say the least!
Graham

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »
You can feel in the actuation of the key cylinder if it is moving the ignition switch. If it feels funky, the rack and sector are the culprit.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 07:16:53 PM »
My rack slowly started to fail with symptoms like yours till it broke-in a mall parking garage!

Started it with a screwdriver to the solenoid and got her home.

Trouble was finding one, not a very common part, Napa is usually good for obscure parts but no. Not this dullard parts guy.

Finally figured out the name of the part, and a Dorman part number, which Napa had in stock!

BTW, is yours a tilt column? My had been loose since I bought it, and that's what brought about it's demise.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction