Author Topic: Fuel line size for TBI / Runs rough / Stalls.  (Read 4435 times)

Offline 87_Rado

Re: Fuel line size for TBI / Runs rough / Stalls.
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
Thank you for the response and yes I have 12v at the pump connector behind the cab. I'm thinking It could possibly be the pump because I have done all off the trouble shooting that was explained In that post vile.
87 Chevy V-10. 350 TBI all stock. Wooden flatbed.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 06:55:44 PM »
AC Delco EP386
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »
Thank you, much appreciated. That's just a factory replacement for the tbi pump? I hope this will make a big difference for me. Gonna order it from my local AutoZone or napa tomorrow. It' amazes me how the truck still runs and drives fairly decent at times minus the occasional hard start and stalling from time to time. It's had this problem ever since I bought it. And I replaced the fuel pump right before I put it on the road. I'm wondering if I put the wrong pump in 5 years ago.. Maybe put a carb one in there or something without knowing it. I've just been dealing with the issues but I'm tired of it and want it done right so I guess Ill take a chance at a new pump and have to drop the tank again.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 08:19:07 PM »
I believe the EP386 is a factory superseded part number - nothing fancy.  You may need to upgrade the original connector, but it is supplied with the pump along with new tank unit o-rings.  After you remove the fuel pickup, before disturbing the pump mounting, check the condition of the rubber coupler hose that connects the pump to the steel standpipe.  See if it's spongy, split, distorted, or dislodged.

FYI - the EP386 pump does not ship with a new filter sock.  I suggest replacing that too: AC Delco TS6.  Be sure to recheck the fuel pressure after pump replacement.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:20:40 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »
BD thanks again your kindness and patience is much appreciated. I will replace the pump and the sock at the same time and check back. It'll probably be a week or two before I get parts and motivated to drop the tank again. I will definitely keep you posted and hopefully we will have solved the issue. Your quick responses have been very helpful 🤘👍

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »
Many of the older pumps came with a pulsator which would rupture inside the tank. Make sure you eliminate it if you have one. Just use the hose connection and clamps directly to the feed pipe.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
Ordered the pump and filter sock, it will be in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that this will solve my issues. And Vile I will check that when I remove the pump. I'm pretty positive mine just has the rubber hose in-between the pump and hard line but I will check to be sure.

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2020, 04:00:15 PM »
Well fellas thank you all for the help, the support on this site is awesome. I installed the new fuel pump and sock a few days ago, and I've been driving the truck ever since.. It's like night and day difference. My old pump was reading 8 psi and the new one is pumping a steady 11 - 11.5 👍 The driveability is so much better and check engine light has not come back on. I'm hoping it's a problem solved for good. Thanks again for all your help! P.S I actually just came across another square today in my, neighborhood. 87 just like mine but it's a 3500 1 ton dually. 4 speed 350 truck. Only downside is its 2wd. I made an offer for 2 grand today and he really looked like he would take it and then he said he would do 2500.. so I'm hoping I can bring em down to my mark and score on that one too!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
Sincere thanks for getting back to the forum with results!  8)

So many times it's "radio silence" after a lot of efforts to help out.  ???
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »
Of course man no problem! The advice and efforts to help are so appreciated on my end for anyone to take the time out of there day to even respond to my post. So I feel like you should always respond after a possible solution. After all that's why people try to help anyways, is to make an attempt to solve the problem right? So it's gotta feel good to actually hear back that you help someone. And to me that's is very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you guys all again 🤜🤛👍