Author Topic: Steering sluggish  (Read 2846 times)

Offline johndeeregreg4

Steering sluggish
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
When I turn my steering wheel the truck hesitates for juts under a second before it responds. It can be dangerous at times especially on the main road. I had the same symptoms recently and took it to a mechanic. He said tie rods are good and replaced the drag link, also u joints will need to be replaced but I have some time however that was less than a month ago. Power steering pump isn’t lined up perfectly with the belts as the mount is custom because of headers and that’s the only thing I can think of that will be causing this. Anybody agree that power steering may be at the root of the cause? Thanks!
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Steering sluggish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
Check the fluid level and the condition and tightness of the belt.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline johndeeregreg4

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
Thanks for the input! Fluid is up to appropriate levels and just tightened the belt yesterday as it had been loose!

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:09:02 PM »
Welcome to the site
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »
So when you turn the wheel, it resists, as in, 'hard to turn, and then comes online?

Or are you describing play/slop?

If the latter, have you looked at the flexible rubber coupling in your steering column?

It lives at the connection point of your steering column and the power steering gearbox.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline johndeeregreg4

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »
Thanks for your response! Yes when the wheel turns it’s a little hard and then all of a sudden gets really wishy washy. I checked the belt tension of the power steering and it’s not slipping. The only thing I can think of is that the top belt is nicely aligned with the pulley while the bottom belt is not. Would this be causing my problem?

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
I don't think the belt is the problem if it's tight and not slipping. The misalignment will only cause your belt to wear out a little sooner rather than later.

After the 'wishy washy' does it firm up and become responsive, as in 'tight'?

Offline johndeeregreg4

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:57:37 AM »
Ok! Yes it feels more responsive after that little period of loose

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
Odd...

So a hard reaction would indicate that the gear box isn't getting enough pressure from the pump.

But then, as you describe, the pressure come online and it gets sloppy.

I would start by adjusting the gearbox to make sure the clearance is right. Here's the drill:

There is a center point between the gears in play. At that center point, the gears are machined to be closer than at other points in their overall travel, going right and left.

There is an adjustment you can do to close the gap between the two gears.

On top of the gearbox, you will see an bolt with a lock down nut. The bolt has a Allan/hex fitting on the top.

Jack stand the front of the vehicle so wheels rotate off the ground.

Turning the wheels left to right, find the center point of travel.

Loosen the lock down nut, by about two turns.

Slowly tighten the hex bolt as you turn the steering wheel left to right about a 1/4 turn each way. (need helper)

As you tighten the bolt, at one point you will notice a drag on steering wheel as you close the gap between the gears.

You have found the center point! Back off the bolt to where the drag is not noticeable, hold that spot and lock it down.

In conclusion, this may not solve your problem but it removes a variable.

There are two point of coupling between your steering wheel and the gearbox, inspect those for play as well.

Offline johndeeregreg4

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »
Ok so I tightened the belt and it doesn’t seem to be delayed anymore. So that problem is fixed I guess with the belt being loose the power steering was “delayed.” I tried your  adjustment trick with the wrench and Allan key and the steering seems tight but the steering wheel has a lot of play. I also tightened the part where the shaft goes into the steering box and I think that’s why the steering is tight now.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
The spanner nut at the stub shaft is a preload for the worm gear and spool valve.  It should be adjusted using an inch-pound torque wrench and not just randomly tightened.

Have an assistant wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect all of the steering linkage ball-ends for movement.  It sounds as though you have wear in the linkage in spite of what you were told.  Assuming 4X4, check your front axle u-bolts, too, to make sure the axle isn't shifting.

If the P/S belts have any glaze or cracks, replace them.  Use a P/S belt tensioning tool (images) to attain the proper belt tension w/o damaging the pump reservoir.  Adjust the short belt first.

Post a pic of the belt alignment issue....
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline johndeeregreg4

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »