Author Topic: Thrush mufflers vs Flowmaster  (Read 40411 times)

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: Thrush mufflers vs Flowmaster
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »
I'm not bent out of shape. I wasnt talking to you, I was referring to 78's post, but even then, I wasn't attacking him. I was talking about the comparison he saw on gearz. Even though the Vortex has that divider in it, it is still a lot more "straight through" than a Flow.

I SEEN that post too.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
I was giving more options.  I have flowmasters on my truck, i dont like the drone of them at certain RPMS.  No need to get bent out of shape.  I seen another post where less restrictive mufflers were brought up. Why didnt you jump on that post?  I'm done

ShawnT you're the one getting bent out of shape here. Calm down. Everyone here is entitled to their opinions.

Back on topic

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »
JDaniel, get it all setup yet?

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
I love the sound of the series 40 Flowmasters. I just had one put on my work truck (08 Silverado) and love it. It finally sonds like a truck. I have a Dynomax muffler on my 01 Crewcab with the 8.1 that was put on against my preference because the exhaust guy thought I wouldnt like the drone sound you refer to. I hate the Dynomax muffler. This is a big, badboy truck and the wifes suburban sounds more agressive. If it was heavily modified, I would be concerned about restriction, but anything is better than stock, I like the sound, and have a set that have been on the truck for 15 years and still look good.It will be replaced with the Flowmasters as soon as possible, or maybe the Edelbrock mufflers as Vile mentioned, but I like a truck to sound like a truck, not a Honda. If I can hear the tires over the exhaust, it isnt right for me.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline team39763

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »
I have the Thrush welded muffler on my dually right now.  It's VERY similar to the flowmaster muffler as far as looks and sounds identical.  I've had it on about 2 years now I think.  It's stupid loud...at this point I'd trade it for a stock muffler or something close.  Ours is the single 3" in and dual 2.5 out and it's dumped under the truck.  I can hear my truck coming from about a quarter mile away...sometimes further.  I also don't have any cat converters, so that contributes to the loudness.  Overall though it sounds good and like I said identical to flowmaster.  I might be able to get a sound clip if you want. Just let me know.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:17:52 AM »
Comparing a muffler that is straight through vs a muffler that has baffles is ridiculous. Of course the straight through muffler is going to flow more. I think people get Flowmasters for their sound, not flowing capabilities. Granted, Flowmaster is better than stock, but something like Magnaflow is going to flow much better. My truck came with Flows, I switched to Magnaflow, and just switched back. It is all personal preference.

The cherry bomb isn't totally straight through...   its not the glasspack  its a turbo muffler too.   It is more straight through than most turbo mufflers though.     I agree, I think they mostly get them for sound too though.   They're not bad mufflers or anything like that...  flowmasters cant be too bad with all the people running them.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
It looks straight through to me, with the exception of the divider. What im saying is it isnt chambered like the flow or have S turns like their turbo muffler. Plus the OP was comparing Thrush vs Flow, not Cherry bomb vs flow.

Offline JDaniel

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 03:20:05 AM »
exhaust is done
flowtech headers left and right(with a balance pipe between the 2) going to the back each trough a flowmaster 40 series and come out just before the rear wheels.
sound is great ,love it

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
Awesome!

Offline JDaniel

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
Here a pic of my exhaustsystem (made it myself)

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
Not bad. I had to use headmans S bends to clear my transmission crossmember because my headers dump in a weird spot/angle. I also used some aluminum colored ceramic spray paint to paint everything. I think it makes it look a bit better and it covers up the welds.

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I can't for the life of me see how anything with any type of baffles or anything in the flow stream can out flow a glass pack that is straight through. No way. It's just like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. When does more water flow from the hose? With your thumb over the hole or the hole left wide open? Just my 2 cents.
 One more thing. Ever notice in lots of muffler adds they say for example; "20% more flow for more power and torque". They never say 20% more compared to what. A stock muffler? A glasspack? A tailpipe with a potato in it? A brick? Well, that makes my 4 cents now.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline Layne

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »

One more thing. Ever notice in lots of muffler adds they say for example; "20% more flow for more power and torque". They never say 20% more compared to what. A tailpipe with a potato in it? A brick? Well, that makes my 4 cents now.
Lol
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I can't for the life of me see how anything with any type of baffles or anything in the flow stream can out flow a glass pack that is straight through. No way. It's just like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. When does more water flow from the hose? With your thumb over the hole or the hole left wide open? Just my 2 cents.

Well I encourage you to do some research then. When you put your thumb over the end of the garden hose what happens to the jet stream of water? Does it increase it's velocity? Does it increase it's pressure? How does this effect your desired goal? If you run your tap water and stick your finger underneath the flow of water what happens? If you put the corner of the rounded part of your finger into the sream of water what happens? Why do people port and polish heads? Why do we make intake and exhaust sytems with bends in them? Why are some runners longer than others? Why do we run different size tubes? Why have a dual plane intake instead of a single plane? Why have variable intake geometry? With research and study you will see that the effects of different mufflers and headers and diameters etc you can gain HP. It's not snake oil when flow technology and dyno results show that the end result is a positive gain.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline team39763

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
I never thought to compare the exhaust to a water hose.  That actually makes sense.  I guess the hard part is figuring out at what point does the restriction hinder the velocity.