Author Topic: 73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)  (Read 57541 times)

Offline mattevandavis

73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »
This is a project I have been working on for about a year now.  It is a complete rebuild.  We took it down to the frame, sand blasted everything, replaced all of the rubber and interior.  There will be nothing untouched on this truck when we are done.  Having said that I did not want an OEM restoration.  Close, but I made some changes.  First off is the color.  We went with Atomic orange off the new Corvette.  Second every grommet is poly.  Third if I wasn't sure we guessed.  No research here.  Finally I went with what I thought might make the interior a bit more appealing instead of the factory setup.

I bought the truck from its original owner who is a relative.  He is also the one doing the majority of the labor since the truck is about 70 miles away.  He restores Chevy's on the side, and owns a sandblasting booth, so it seemed logical to let him at it.

HISTORY
Originally purchased by my wife’s uncle, Dave, in 1973.  He worked at the local dealer and special ordered the truck with a 350 V8, the heavy duty suspension and transmission, and not much else. 
It did change hands once.  When Dave went through a divorce he sold it for $1 to his best friend to keep his ex from getting the truck.  It was later sold back to him for the same amount.  The bill of sale for this transaction is with the trucks records but the title was never signed. 
It has been painted three times brown, blue, and brown again, but now has been sandblasted and repainted Atomic Orange.

MODIFICATIONS
Engine:
Long tube headers, HEI distributor, Edelbrock performance intake, Edelbrock performance 600 cfm carburetor, truck cam
Interior:
Polyvinyl mat, firewall pad, sanded smooth door panels, new black upholstered seats, black dash cover
Exterior:
Atomic Orange paint, AT Tires, blacked out grill, black bed wood, poly bushings, spray bed liner, drop hitch

A WORD
I apologize for any over exposed or dull pictures.  The majority were taken with my blackberry.  While it is an adequate camera; it was never intended to replace a real camera.  I think you will get the idea.

Also I will post more as more comes available.

PICS

Day One:
So Photobucket has ruined the photos on the post.  Its an old post, but I thought i'd restore some of the pictures.  I'n not sure that i have all of the photos in the right spot, but at least the basic idea will be there.

The Work Begins:

Getting Ready For Sandblasting:

After The Blast:

Recoating:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:53:08 PM by mattevandavis »

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
Re: 73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
Great progress!  Looks immaculate!  Beautiful color, I've never seen anything that color didn't look great on.  Keep 'em comin!
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »
great job! you started with nothing.
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
Great job! I love that orange it is sexy!!! 8) What are your plans for the suspension and wheels? Keep up the work and keep us posted.
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline oldyeller

• 81 Chevy 3/4 ton
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »
Looks good.  Can't wait to see it put together.
1981 Chevy 3/4 ton (aka yeller)
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab lifted with flames
1950 Dodge Wayfarer all original
1951 Chevy truck
6 extended cab square bodies
Just to name a few

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »
Love it, great project.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
Great looking project  ;D Keep up the good work !!!
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »
What a transformation already! Lookin great!
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »

Paint:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:58:14 PM by mattevandavis »

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 11:17:49 AM »
That looks awesome ;D. Well documented and definitely alot of work went in to it. Personally I think if your going to use a ralley wheel that a stock color(argent silver I think) or body colored with the chrome rings and center cap could finish it off.
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
That looks awesome ;D. Well documented and definitely alot of work went in to it. Personally I think if your going to use a ralley wheel that a stock color(argent silver I think) or body colored with the chrome rings and center cap could finish it off.

Thanks for the feed back!!

Alot of people have suggested the body color rims.  I did want to stick to powder coat.  Silver is the easiest to come by.  The bumpers will be black powder coat.

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »

Thanks for the feed back!!

Alot of people have suggested the body color rims.  I did want to stick to powder coat.  Silver is the easiest to come by.  The bumpers will be black powder coat.
Oh, then maybe black wheels will compliment the bumpers. I gotcha. Either way it's going to look sharp!
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »

Oh, then maybe black wheels will compliment the bumpers. I gotcha. Either way it's going to look sharp!
[/quote]

I may try the silver and do the black later.  I just want something a bit different.

Offline osofast

• New Users
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »
Dang, I wish I had half your skill and all your patience! ;)

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »
Dang, I wish I had half your skill and all your patience! ;)

I wish I had half of a skill.  Dont be mislead, I have never restored a vehicle before, nor would I no what to do or how to get it done.  All the restoration is being done by Dave (my wifes uncle).  I am just doing what ever tasks he doesnt want to do or that I can do with my limited skill set (go-for).  He is the brains and means in the operation.

I have learned a ton working on this project.  I thought i was a car guy before, but doing something like this makes you realize what you can really learn about a vehicle.

I am glad I found this forum, since i have learned a lot about what im doing here so I dont sound like a complete moron talking to Dave about the project.

Its also great to see what others are doing and have done.  Any and all input is welcome since this is a seat of the pants operation.

THANKS for checking it out!