Author Topic: J.J.,Max, and Rico...  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: J.J.,Max, and Rico...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »
You see, Max looked like the previous Owner had handed a four-year-old a hammer and told him, "Make sure you dent every panel."
You say that like it's a bad thing.... ;D
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »
Just curious, what would it cost to do a repaint?

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 06:33:57 PM »
Just curious, what would it cost to do a repaint?

I bought Rico as you see him in the pics.  So, I don't know what kinda' dollars they put into the P&B.

Max has been at my Cousin's body shop for the last five or so months.  He (my Cousin) is kind of working on him as time permits.  We haven't discussed a cost yet.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 12:54:14 AM »
I put some new Mobil 1 in "Big Daddy" Rico today, as well as a new Wix oil and air filter.  I found a Mobil 1 ("Euro Formula") that has a good deal of zinc and phosphorus in it.  I figure that stuff can't hurt an old flat-tappet big block.

For the past 300 or so miles, I've been running a good bit of Seafoam in the case.  Rico is showing just under 100K on the clock.  So, I thought a good "cleaning" might be a decent idea.  Gentlemen, the oil I drained from "Rico Suave" made my used diesel oil look clean.  Lol. ;D

Rico is happy for the moment.

Mission accomplished!  8)
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »
Nice trucks!
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 05:38:16 PM »

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 12:27:50 AM »
I know this is a Square Body forum.  But, I figure a few of y'all are "Big 3" truck guys, just like me.  So, I thought I'd share a pic of "Bubba" (my '92 W350 1st Gen Cummins C&C).  He just turned 50K original miles, pulling into my driveway, the other night.

We were out at the Farm today, pretending to work, while the guys were trenching a water line...

Offline fitz

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »
You have a fine collection of trucks.
Many refer to the early dodges as a "shipping container" that the 6bt cummins is installed in, but your 92 W350 looks real clean.  I'd love to see a few more pics of it.  I was gonna say that I'd love to see that diesel installed in 1 of your k30's, but man that truck looks clean.  Rare to see a "million mile motor" in a 28 year old truck with 50k on it.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 11:33:19 PM »
You have a fine collection of trucks.
Many refer to the early dodges as a "shipping container" that the 6bt cummins is installed in, but your 92 W350 looks real clean.  I'd love to see a few more pics of it.  I was gonna say that I'd love to see that diesel installed in 1 of your k30's, but man that truck looks clean.  Rare to see a "million mile motor" in a 28 year old truck with 50k on it.

Thank you.

Much of the "collection" was more incidental/accidental than anything else. (long story)  However, the W350 was not.  It was intentional.  Initially, I bought it to replace its Great-Grandson, my '13 W3500 Ram C&C. (Sid)   Because it was purchased for that purpose, I may have spent a little more on it than I should've.  Unfortunately, it wasn't until after I purchased it that I realized that it could NEVER replace my 4th Gen.  I mentioned in another thread that I have reason to believe that the W350 was a brush truck for the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation...which would definitely explain the mileage.

I do (most of the time) want to get rid of it.  However, I just haven't gotten-around to it.  It ain't costing me much sitting in the barn, afterall.

I have never heard the "shipping container" reference.  However, I have heard similar comments.  Funny thing is, if you turned the a K30 and W350 up on their rear bumpers (with only the undercarriage showing), many would have a booger of a time telling them apart.  Dana 70HD, Dana 60F, NP205, etc...It's amazing how similarly equipped they are.  I think it's a bit of a testament to how "ahead of their time" the square-body trucks were. 

Despite being six years older, the K30s even have the Dodge in the category of drivability, too.  My K30s are really quite nice to drive.  The W350, not so much.  The W-truck feels more like an implement than an automobile. 

Here is the actual dash shot from the other night...

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »
Well, I was finally able to reclaim Big Daddy Max from my Cousin's body shop, today.  I haven't gone back in my texting history.  But, if memory serves, I dropped him off on 10-21-19...almost a year to the day.

He's been sitting for a year.  So, I know that I will have to address some gremlins (like some running lights that I already know are not functioning).  But, luckily, I was able to haul him from my Cousin's shop, to the inspection station, and on to the barn.  So, I hope to get him registered, cleaned-up/squared-away, and back on the road within the next month or so. 

If you look at the pics, and compare his current look to his old look (in my first post in this thread), you'll really see the difference...

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »
Another one, in the event that anyone is actually viewing this thread (besides me)...

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2020, 09:40:02 AM »
Very nice clean truck.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »
It sparkles with a perfect showroom appearance!   Except for the campaign sign, I would accuse you of having snapped that picture 34 years ago!   ;)  8)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Online Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
Love it!!
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
Thanks, Gents!

The pic really makes it look nice.  It's not a show truck, but not quite a "20-footer" either.  It's somewhere in-between.  Either way, I love it.  For my eyes, it turned-out great...and I'm elated to have it back.

My trucks are drivers.  I use them for everything from picking-up dinner to jockeying empty goosenecks between properties.

Rich, I actually didn't notice the campaign sign until I was posting the pic.  I guess I shoulda' gone looking for a "Reagan" sign.  Lol.