Author Topic: Front axle Problems  (Read 13703 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Front axle Problems
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
I see people advertise 8 lug 10 bolt's & Dana 44's as 1 ton axles all the time on Craigslist, and Flebay. So for them to think 10 bolts are 44's isn't to far fetched!
it is if I'm one of them lol
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline fitz

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:35:27 AM »
I see people advertise 8 lug 10 bolt's & Dana 44's as 1 ton axles all the time on Craigslist, and Flebay. So for them to think 10 bolts are 44's isn't to far fetched!
It seems like just about every 1/2 ton truck that had an 8 lug conversion done to it gets passed off as having a 1 ton drivetrain when it's being sold.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
77-91 Front axles on the 1/2T Chevys were 10 bolts

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »
Didn't say you were one, just saying they get mistaken allot.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline pjm257

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 04:43:10 PM »
I may be stupid here but I have been looking at my 1979 GMC k2500's front axle and it has 12 bolts and the tires have 8 lug's. I'm not saying it is or it isn't a Dana but how would one tell? From looking at it and the picture posted of the front end of the broken truck's front end it looks exactly like it.  But then mine is a later year so that may make a diference.

I know I haven't gotten stuck yet with it and it pulls like no other truck I have owned maybe I'll take some pics and post them of the front end and rear end and let you guys tell me what they are. I realy have no idea of what is what when it comes to axles except the u-joints needed to be replaced in mine as when i first shifted it into 4H lock it made a loud clacking noise. No noise now though. Just pulling power and lots of it.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »
I think all the talk about which rearends may have some readers confused...

The one pictured on page 1 of this thread is a Dana 44.

If it is squared off on the bottom with "ears" it is a 10 bolt (along with an oval cover)
If it is a tapered cover as pictured, it is a Dana 44.

Offline pjm257

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
Had me confused lol Ohh well mines not a DANA but it pulls like heck I have this one under the front

GM CORPORATE 10-BOLT
This 10-bolt, with a larger 8 1/2-inch ring gear diameter, replaced the Dana 44 that was used in the front of some pre-1977 GMs. It can also be found in the back of 1983-91 1/2-tons and in the front of 1983-87 1/2-tons.

And the large GM 14 bolt under the rear end. I think i'll be fine with these. Nice to know what axles I have now :)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »
Well as it turns out it was a ten bold ::) and the sad part is my buddy the one who i thought would know better knew it was a ten bolt. i guess he just wanted to see if it would work or not
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline pjm257

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 05:13:13 AM »
Well as it turns out it was a ten bold ::) and the sad part is my buddy the one who i thought would know better knew it was a ten bolt. i guess he just wanted to see if it would work or not

I beleive this is what they teach the kids at advance auto all the time! If we don't have the exact one just try something that looks like it will fit. It seems to me that I always wind up with the wrong part at advanced auto lol