Author Topic: all terrain tires  (Read 13070 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
all terrain tires
« on: June 01, 2009, 05:55:45 AM »
i have a set of 12/16.5 alum. rims sitting not sure if it was just my driving habits or what but my 38/16/16 super swamper's tsl didn't hold up well being driven on the road. my question is I'm looking for a set or tires for alum rims to drive mainly on the road my Buddy of mine had a set of ground hawgs that seam to hold up allot better. i will be doing some towing not much but if its needed for broke down cars and would still like to just kick it in four wheels and get a little dirty. I'm thinking about these tires but i don't know anything about them anyone tried them? i had some problems with the swamper's also like getting stuck in the snow real easyjust a little incline and i would have to kick it in 4 wheels
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:09:10 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline flat black

Re: all terrain tires
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:23:12 AM »
i had a few tires in the last few years that wore real good,  bfg all terrains i got 50,000 miles out of a 315/75/16..then sold em still 1/4 tread,  procomp extreme allterrain 30,000 0ut of a 37/13/16, these were on my 03 2500hd  and a set of bfg mudds that ive had for about 6 years and drive the truck every day(84 m1008).  the new set i just  put on my hd are the new km2s (37/12.5/17 on h2s) which are expensive but they are quiet and are great so far.  my ssrs didnt last long (on my 83 shortbed) at all and i had a set of truxus sts that sucked and i sold em shortly after i bought em... procomps arent my favorite but they have a warranty and back it up, a buddy had allterrains and they wore badly and were replaced for new ones...

Offline 79K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »
Ditto what Flat Black said...

Pretty much all the Mud-only tires (MTRs, XTerrains, Yokos, and Swampers - nomatter which variety you choose, TSLs, Radials, Boggers) wear poorly when driven on the street. This is mostly because the rubber is a softer compound and there is physically less surface area (due to the large tread gaps). IMO the only decent mud tire that can be driven on the street is the BFG MT and MT-KM and MT-KM2.

If you want a tire that does well on the street and you can get some mileage out of them, stick to ATs (BFGs are my favorites, but Goodyear, Bridgestone, ProComp all make good ATs).

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
i second what everyone has said so far.  my last bfg a/t's lasted over 50k miles and were still in good shape when i sold the truck.  i had yokohoma geolander m/t that lasted 35K mile, which i thought was good.   

the nitto dune grapplers you have pictured would wear probably as fast as the swampers did.  i have heard (tho not experienced) that they are great in the sand, but in other terrains (rock, snow, mud) they are not all that great. 
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline exilous

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Irish I am currently running those tires on my 2005 dodge 1500 AWD pickup and I love them. They make a little bit of hum going down the road but around bad, my truck isnt heavy I dont know the application you will use them on but I'll put it to you this way I run them on the road because its my daily driver I am at almost 20k miles on those tires they arent choppy at all I have rotated them once and if I had to give it a judge on tread left I would confidently say 75% left. And I have gone off roading with them a few times they are decent not very good because they are made for sand and snow and I tell you I will put these on my plow truck they are awesome in the snow. I am very pleased with them. I believe mine are 31s on 17 inch rims, my buddy has a set on his jeep he is running 33s on 15s and his are much more beat up cause he goes offroading a lot more than I do. He likes them very much to. Good luck with your tire selection. You know my recomendation

Offline pjm257

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
 I run the BFG All terrain AT's on my 16.5X12 rims they were on the truck when I bought it and they seem to serve me very well. Some people think that they are not good in the mud or off road but mine seem to love it. Haven't gotten stuck and I have put the truck through some serious stuff latly.

Ofcourse as a Bridgestone/Firestone Employee I would recomend the Bridgestone/Firestone Dauler AT the new tread design is awsome looking for the AT and they have a great warrenty. Think they are a 60k mile tire if you rotate them properly.

I plan on buying the Bridgestone/Firestone Dualer MT for my next set of tires I know several guys that run them daily and they seem totaly happy with the tires. Although I've heard that you cannot get any type of warrenty with a MT tire. One of my buddy's told me to buy them as the p305/65r 16 or what ever you tires size is so that you get a millage warrenty. As the 33/12.5R 16's wont come with a warrenty because its concidered a off raod tire. Not sure on that but that is what I have heard.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 02:48:29 AM »
now these tires are uses on hummers for the military good deal?
Goodyear Wrangler MT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120433709223

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 79K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
That seems like an OK deal. Typically you can buy those at the surplus auctions, though, and pay less than that.

Also, I would have the guy send you a pic of the DOT number so you can check the age of the tire. A lot of used Army tires get pulled because of their age, so these may be old and ready to dry-rot.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
OK , I usually don't read every word on the longer posts, but did I read that you have and will put 16's on 16.5 rims?   that is not recomended.   In fact, industry standards are trying to phase out 16.5's altogether.

I would not recomend buying 16.5 rims if one is in the market.  And I really don't recomend putting a smaller tire on a larger wheel.  They make 16.5 tires for a reason, though you are seeing less of them as each day passes.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:02 AM »
OK , I usually don't read every word on the longer posts, but did I read that you have and will put 16's on 16.5 rims?  that is not recomended.   In fact, industry standards are trying to phase out 16.5's altogether.

I would not recommend buying 16.5 rims if one is in the market.  And I really don't recommend putting a smaller tire on a larger wheel.  They make 16.5 tires for a reason, though you are seeing less of them as each day passes.

LOL YOU SILLY  i would never do that but i have two diffrent sets of rims a aluminum 16.5x12s i think and black steel ones 16x16 need tires for both sets so I'm looking at two diffrent sets of tires. want i want to do is put the mudding/off road but still able to drive a little but on the road ties on the black then put all terrains on the aluminum

Offline malibu795

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:48 PM »
interco STS IMO is then AT tire...

alot of sled puller run these as a "spec" tire because they do so well..

they DO NOT LAST on the street..  20-30k tops  especailly on then 3/4 ton trucks

the STS dont do to well in mud either.. and it takes ALOT of power to spin them as well.

adam wildman
75 K25 383/400
79 malibu 454/T56 305rwhp/432rwtq 15.6@92.8mph
02 2500HD D-max/allison best time 13.77 @ 99mph 463rwhp/930rwtq

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Ground Hawgs wear like iron. Decent in mud and hard pack....crap on ice. Good for load ratings as well. Avail in bias or radial.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:03:20 AM »
on my 16x16 steel rims I'm going with the hawgs and on my 12.5x16.5 I'm going with the Humvee take offs

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
Let us know how you like each and what you are using each for....keep us up to date.

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 01:05:39 AM »
I ran a couple sets of AT tires in the winter on a 2wd truck and was not impressed at all, however, my 2wd shortbed that now has a set of cooper discoverer stt's, can and will drag a 4wd 5.2l magnum dakota running wild country AT's through the mud without working all that hard. The irony was, these discoverers came off the owner of that truck's wife's durango, they both hated them because they felt they rode rough, but I've seen quite the contrary.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”