Author Topic: all terrain tires  (Read 13069 times)

Offline blazinzuk

Re: all terrain tires
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 02:57:22 AM »
Every one has a different opinion on tires I off road alot and dont' even consider all terrain tires.  To me a good year MTR or BFG mud is more of an all terrain tire  A swamper (like the orginal TSL bogger SSR Sx etc) pit bull or really aggressive tire is a mud tire.  I have personally got 40,000 miles out of a set of 38" radial swampers.  They were balanced and I rotated them every 5000 miles.  I also checked inflation with every fill up. 

I know people who say I only got xx miles out of xx tire.  Well how many times did you rotate, check your pressure, how many times did you re balance them?  Is your truck in good shape lifted etc. etc. etc.   How long a tires lasts and knowing all that will give you a better idea of how long a tire will last you

Offline 79K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »
I also checked inflation with every fill up. 

Something was seriously wrong if you had to check the air at every fill up!

A tire should only lose 1 psi per month max, unless it has a hole in it or a leaking bead.

Offline blazinzuk

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »
I also checked inflation with every fill up. 

Something was seriously wrong if you had to check the air at every fill up!

A tire should only lose 1 psi per month max, unless it has a hole in it or a leaking bead.

didnt fill them i checked them.  Plus I wheel my truck alot so if all that was available was quarter air station that would not fill my tires up checking them often made sure I had them at the right pressure all the time.  I also checked the oil every time I filled up

Offline leew

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
One of my friends has those STS's in the 39" flavor....they arn't going to do much in the mud and they are loud on the road, but ride smooth
75 k5 frame, 79 c10 cab, 81 k30 axles, some tube work, other goodies
350 on propane,th350, NP203
SM465/NP205 coming soon

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Well finally got the Humvee tires mounted and on. Looks kind of weird only being 12" wide when I have had 16 or 14s on but anyway love love them in the snow most time don't need 4x4 even threw the drifts. Handle better on the road that a gimme they hold 50 Pei cold here are some picks
Before

After

If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
Got up my Generals the other day. Got 2 mounted and need to get the other 2 done.

1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »
Picked up a nail the other day so my tire was slack so I drove it to the back of the prison only once I got there the bead popped so I had to take it to a tire shop. Which was cool cause I needed to fix the flat anyway so took it to a shop told them what I needed done and I just laughed at them while they were trying to pump it up. They used one of those quick air release tanks it failed they used a strap that failed so they went back to the quick release tank only to fail again. So after watching them I told them you have to use starting fluid cause the tires are hard and its cold so that makes them harder. So they tried the quick release again then they opened the garage door threw the tire in the state truck and came in said they can't to it and they don't use starting fluid. But while they were in the shop I noticed a can of fluid sitting on the tire changer. So took it to another shop they listened to me but they used it to catch the tire on fire. First thing they did was change the valve stim cool they looked like they knew what they were doing. So after they finally got her seated they round the leak they tried to pull it out only to fail so they popped the bead. Then they patched the hole and after failing again took them a good bit of time they found another hole the first hole wasn't leaking but they fixed both holes. After a couple hours I finally got the tire pumped up they only charged 25 for all the trouble and I just got home about a hour ago now I have bowling so ill be up for 24hr come 600 pm. What a wonderful day
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
Too seat a bead, First step is remove the valve core.
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline ToddN

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:45 PM »
I had to de-burr (sp?) my wheels.  That can cause a mystery leak.
A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take everything you have.