Author Topic: Additional Traction  (Read 14633 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Additional Traction
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
The first one I ever did, I was surprised how much force it actually took to get it to start crushing.

Very true! I have the holding fixture like this one http://www.costplustools.com/Miller-Special-Tools-C-3281-HOLDER-FLANGE_p_6493.html#
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
X2 on crushing the sleeve. I had my 12bolt out of the truck on the ground with a 24" Crescent wrench and a 4' cheater pipe holding the yoke, and a 1/2" breaker with another cheater turning the nut. Took a lot more than I thought it would to crush the sleeve.

Back to the locker in the front differential though. I'm new to 4x4's. I am not quite ready to setup my diff's yet. Haven't even popped the covers off yet to verify what I have, or don't have. '85 3/4ton 4x4 burb, nothing on the glove box tag about a posi or limited slip diff. But both covers have excess rtv pooching out of them, so I know they've been into before.

I will definitely be running a locker of some kind in the rear, and had thought about the locker in the front. The OP brought up a point I had considered, but seemed to be dismissed in his postings here. Why is it so bad to run a locker up front when you can unlock the hubs, essentially disabling the locker until you want it? Help me understand this please? My thought, like his, is if you're running the t-case in 2hi, and the hubs unlocked, it should even turn the axles, right? I would love for mine to be a true 4wd, but don't want something in it I'll regret later.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:52 PM »
^^exactly part of my question, and why I was thinking about front lockers. The first step I'm taking now is to put a posi or limited slip type unit in the back diff, but I talked to my local 4wd/lift kit guy and he said that a lunchbox locker in the front would be completely un-noticed until you want to use it. His exact words were something along the lines of when it's in 2HI and hubs unlocked you could have the front diff filled with nickels and dimes and it wouldn't make any difference until you lock it in. I'm not ruling out adding a front locker at some point.
The method behind my madness is that I was going to go with larger tires (35's), but I think I would rather save on my drivetrain and compensate lack of ground clearance for more traction. The other thing is that I didn't really want to put alot of money into a 10-bolt rear diff in case I end up swapping for a 14 bolt in the future. I appreciate everyone's opinions on this, and I am still researching the options. I called and spoke with a rep at Randy's ring & pinion this afternoon and explained the same criteria that I listed in this thread, and he gave his recommendation as well.

Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline derrick79

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »
Ok you make a good point about not noticing the locker in the frront when you don't need it. BUT what about when you do want it? You're driving down the snow covered road and it is icy and you have your front hubs locked. Come to a turn in the road and all of a sudden your wondering why your truck stalled. That's because its upside down. If you are going to run some kind of carrier in the front, I highly suggest come kind of cone or clutch setup. As far as which one, I have heard good things about the eaton true trac and I have also heard good things about the auburns.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
The only appeal with a Lock-rite style is the price and ease of installation. Now I've got the installation covered, so I won't cheap out on the the product. They might be alright for a trail truck, but you guys have made some good points about how it wouldn't really be suited for what I want to do with it.

I'm assuming all of the mentioned cone or clutch type units should be capable of handling 33" tires, and the driving characteristics would all be similar between the choices.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline derrick79

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »
Yeah a true trac or the auburn will be capable of turning those 33's. I know what you are saying about the loc-rite because I have done some research on them before and they are cheap and do look like a peice of cake but I have never seen one or know anyone who has one.

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »
Ok you make a good point about not noticing the locker in the frront when you don't need it. BUT what about when you do want it? You're driving down the snow covered road and it is icy and you have your front hubs locked. Come to a turn in the road and all of a sudden your wondering why your truck stalled. That's because its upside down. If you are going to run some kind of carrier in the front, I highly suggest come kind of cone or clutch setup. As far as which one, I have heard good things about the eaton true trac and I have also heard good things about the auburns.

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about running a spool or mini-spool. I was talking about, in general, and limited slip diff, or possibly even a ratchet style locker in the front (as well as the rear). obviously something that would let one wheel slip. Luckily, I unlike the OP, don't do much snow driving here in N. Tx., so that's no real concern 364 days a year. But when i would want or need 4wd, I'd like to see mud flying on all 4 corners (if ya know what I mean).

And even if someone were running a spool type locker, couldn't they leave one hub unlocked to avoid the scenario you describe?

Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just trying to wrap my alleged brain around the whole concept.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline 4x4x4x

• 85k10 diesel
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 11:48:11 PM »
we have an 85k10 turbo diesel, 700r4, new 411 gears, 33/1250 r15 tires. had the same thoughts as you about wanting better traction for light off road and winter driving. we went with the auburn gear ected limited slip/electric lockers front and rear in our 10 bolt differentials. we had a chance to test the traction in some crazy winter driving in the pnw including ice and snow. the limited slip in the rear diff. works very well (all the time). when the front hubs are locked in the front limit slip also works well. if the conditions warrent extra traction, then by flipping one or both electric switches on the dash, we can switch to locked differentials. the traction in locked 4 wheel drive is very impressive. with the snow on the ground many vehicles were not able to make it up area hills (some hills were closed) our truck had no problem going up these hills. in fact we even tried locked f/r 4wd in low range and idled up the steep hill with hardly any wheel spin.  the ected system is designed for our trucks with smaller dia tires up to about 35". as you can tell we are very happy with our system.
85 k10 swb, 6.5 diesel. banks sidewinder turbo, 700r4, auburn gear ected limited slip/lockers f & r, 411 gears, front slotted disks, rear disk brakes, 4"exhaust,  cibie headlight and fog lights, rancho rear spring lift, rancho shocks, new ft. springs,

Offline HIGHPLAINSDRIFTER

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »

Offline jaredts

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »
4X4X4X, would you mind to share the cost of that setup?  I assume you had someone install this or did it yourself?

Offline 4x4x4x

• 85k10 diesel
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
4X4X4X, would you mind to share the cost of that setup?  I assume you had someone install this or did it yourself?

sorry for the late reply, the ected electric lockers run about $750. each plus the cost of install. I had a 4x4 shop do the install on my truck and also added rear disk's and other goodies so the labor cost was much higher. had a chance to run in the snow and ice again this week, truck tracks like a tank.   http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=5&DiffID=45&CatID=7

hope this helps
85 k10 swb, 6.5 diesel. banks sidewinder turbo, 700r4, auburn gear ected limited slip/lockers f & r, 411 gears, front slotted disks, rear disk brakes, 4"exhaust,  cibie headlight and fog lights, rancho rear spring lift, rancho shocks, new ft. springs,