Author Topic: Steering Issues, from body lift?  (Read 17227 times)

Offline MyOldScottsdale23

Steering Issues, from body lift?
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
I just bought a 85 Scottsdale that has seen better days. It has bad steering problems and I don't know if it's from being treated bad or if the body lift has compromised it somehow. It jumps around on it's on and has bad bump steer. It also will oversteer to the left and won't turn very far at all to the right. May have been some junk part swaps or something. Any ideas on how to help? Thanks in advance!

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
Re: Steering Issues, from body lift?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »
How tall is the body lift?
Is it just body, or is it suspension lift too?
If you are having steering problems, it sounds like the steering geometry has been changed due to the lift.
I know if you put a suspension lift on, you need to change the steering arm.
I look forward to hearing more about the lift kit.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »
body lifts only effect the steering intermediate shaft. not the steering geometry itself. what size tire are you running
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Engineer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »
Those exact symptoms sound like a suspension lift with a factory arm.

Doesn't sound like a body lift induced issue to me.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
Those exact symptoms sound like a suspension lift with a factory arm.

Doesn't sound like a body lift induced issue to me.

Also you should check the front end suspension parts.  Do what they call a dry park check.  Leave vehicle off, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look under in front for parts that are loose or not responding with the steering shaft turning.  Or sluggish parts, that will have a very big impact on how it drives down the road.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
It has a 3" body lift and 3" blocks front and rear. I think the shaft between the gear box and the firewall is different but it looks stretched like the telescopic part is open too far and the coupling at the gearbox looks stretched or bent. I would post pic but my phone is my only Internet.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
It has a 3" body lift and 3" blocks front and rear. I think the shaft between the gear box and the firewall is different but it looks stretched like the telescopic part is open too far and the coupling at the gearbox looks stretched or bent. I would post pic but my phone is my only Internet.

It has blocks up front ?  That is bad news and a no-no in my opinion.  It was probably a home job, which in case it most likely is not right at all.  It is dangerous to have blocks up front, it not done absolutely perfect your truck will wonder all over, and from what you say it sure sounds like that to me.  It would really help if you could get a couple of pics so everyone can see what you are talking about, if at all possible.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Engineer

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
The 3" front block is your problem.

If you want to keep the suspension lift I suggest a spring lift for the front, and you MUST use a raised steering arm, or dropped pitman arm or a combination of both with any lift.

In many states the block in the front is illegal. At the very least it is unsafe. During cornering it can roll out from between the spring and axle.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
yes please get us pics. blocks up front vile lost a friend due to someone doing this stupid stunt
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
Wow that's scary. I can't thank you guys enuf. It does make sense now that you point it out. I'll be taking the lift off as soon as i can get to the salvage yard to get some stock u-bolts.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Front blocks bad. The reason it turns sharp one way and not the other is because of them.
Try putting a couple positive arch rear springs in when you take the block out. This will give you a couple inches at the least.
That can be adjusted out in the drag link if you put 3" front springs in. Correct way is to get the drop arm.

Re using U bolts is a NO NO too. U bolts stretch when tightend. Get new U bolts, they are fairly inexpensive for the piece of mind they provide.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »
New bolts, got it. I had planned on taking all the body and blocks out anyway and goin for a 4" suspension lift with springs. I guess now I will have an easier time convincing the wife that it needs  to be done NOW, lol.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »
New bolts, got it. I had planned on taking all the body and blocks out anyway and goin for a 4" suspension lift with springs. I guess now I will have an easier time convincing the wife that it needs  to be done NOW, lol.

When life or death is involved, I find it is easier for my wife to say ok.   8)
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
The wife never says " why don't ya just git rid of that hunkajunk allready " ?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
I actually sold a 2008 LTZ Duramax Crew and bought this truck. So, she isn't complaining yet. What she don't know is I will end up spending it all on this truck eventually.