Author Topic: T-case problem and shift pattern  (Read 10354 times)

Offline Godgunsrocknroller

T-case problem and shift pattern
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
I have a 76 k10 with an np-208 t-case. I have 3 questions.

1) What is the shift pattern for the t-case (the writing is rubbed off the knob)

2) When do I "lock" and "free" my hubs?

3) My t-case will only go to the forward most and second forward most positions, its stuck and refuses to go anywhere else, am I doing something wrong? And if i'm not, is there somthing wrong with my t-case?

This is a great site, thanks in advance for your guys help!:)  

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: T-case problem and shift pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
Being a '76, are you sure that it is an NP-208 and not an NP-203?  The 203 is much larger than the 208 and is made mostly of iron, where the 208 is all aluminum.  Try putting the transmission in nuetral before shifting the T-case.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
I agree it should be a 203 or 205. You mention locking and unlocking your hubs. It is most likely a 205, unless someone coverted a full time hub truck then it will be a 203 and most likely have the kit in the case as well. There should only be four positions for a 205 all the way back is 4 hi, next forward is 2 hi, next forward is nuetral, last is 4 low. Also a 208 does not have the shift pattern on the knob, it has an indicator like an auto trans has on the column. It is 2 hi all the way forward, 4 hi next back, nuetral, and all the way back is 4 low.
As far as hubs go if you want 4 wheel drive then thats when you need to lock them. When manuvering a trailer in a tight spot I use 4 lo with out the hubs locked for more control and less use on the clutch as in hi I would be engaging and disengaging it alot.

Edited by: Blazin at: 4/30/06 9:25 am
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
The guy I bought it from told me it was a np-208, its sort of a frankenstein truck, lots of parts from different places. He could be wrong though. I hope he isn't though because I just filled up the transfercase with SAE 80W90. Is there any way I can tell which case it is?
Thanks!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
A 208 is all aluminum, and has a slip yoke for the output. A 205 is all cast iron and has a fixed yoke ouput. 203s are cast iron and most times will have an aluminum tail shaft housing area.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
Your transfer case does not take 80w90. If it's the 208 it takes ATF. If it's an old 203 it takes 10w30  

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »
I have 2 budies that rebuild transmisions / tranfer cases and they both recomend motor oil in a 208.  

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 05:09:00 AM »
Why?

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »
One of them used to work at a Chevy dealer and that is what they used instead of ATF. The other told me it was recomended to him by Transtar, the company he gets his rebuild kits from.

!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Should I be worried that I put 80w90 in my t-case?!?!?!?!!??! This is not good......

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: !!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
If it is a 203 or 205 thats whats suposed to be in it. If its a 208 I would drain it and refill if it were mine with motor oil, or if keeping it original ATF.

Edited by: Blazin at: 5/3/06 12:15 pm

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »
I looked at the case and stamped on there is:

C1
C-11890
6-74

and on the plate it says:

model: 20(either 3 or 8 its partially rubbed off)
ratio: 20

Im still not sure what case it is, guy who sold it to me told me it was a 208 but im not sure.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: .
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »
Is it cast iron or aluminum?  

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
Blazin I worked at a chevy dealer for 4 years and there was never one class I took or TSB I ever saw that said to use motor oil instead of ATF.

Take a magnet and see if it sticks to the transfer case.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Yep, its a 203. I drained the gear oil and put some 10w40 in it. I still don't understand how to shift the thing, it drove in all the positions, then it only drove all the way forward, and it grinds when I move the shifter to different positions, it goes ERRRRRRGGHHHHHH. It also goes CLANG CLANG CLANG when I try to shift it and to be honest it scares the crap out of me.... in fact I shut off the truck and lied in the fetal position crying for quite a while in the garage. Please show me the ways of the mighty transfer case!

Also I have the locking hubs where I have to get out and turn the thing from "free" to "lock". But it drives in "free" in the furthest forward position, which I beleive is 4low, which would mean the previous owner put a part-time conversion kit on it?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions, you guys are great!

Edited by: Godgunsrocknroller at: 5/4/06 10:35 pm