Author Topic: T-case problem and shift pattern  (Read 10356 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: .
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
You are saying it will shift into all the positions when shut off and then start & it will drive? I have allways been able to shift any of my 203 or 205 cases in park or in gear in my auto trucks. You should be able to shift while moving at a slow speed from 2 hi to 4 hi, 4 lo you should be stoped.
Vile, all I know is that is what he said he was told to do with any 208 that came in with ATF in it. My other buddy that rebuilds transmisions, & tranfer cases told me he had heard the same thing. I don't know where he heard it.
I have been running 5W30 in every one of my 208s for about 12 years now and had no problems. I have bought several trucks with 208s and they already had motor oil in them.
Idono?

Edited by: Blazin at: 5/4/06 10:52 pm
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Godgunsrocknroller

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »
So the positions are

L-loc
Low
N
Hi
H-loc

so in which of those do I have to get out of my truck and lock the hubs?

Also is there a way I can tell if its been converted to part time? I thought I heard that if I have the hubs where I have to get out of my truck and turn them from "free" to "lock" by hand then it has been converted, but I wanted to confirm it.

Edited by: Godgunsrocknroller at: 5/5/06 10:45 pm

Offline 1976Scottsdale

when to shift and lock in
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 07:36:00 AM »
You can lock in the hubs in any of the ranges if you want to.  However, first, unlock(Free) and put the case in HI, then see if it will drive around... almost forgot, to stop the grinding, put the transmission in N(Neutral) before shifting the case.  If the truck will drive in Hi with the hubs free, then it has been converted.  If it has not, the truck will not move in Hi unless the hubs are locked in.  Just always put the transmission in Neutral before shifting the transfer case.  Many people will just put hubs on the axle and run it in Hi-Loc with the hubs free if the case has not been converted.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
It moves in forward and reverse in L-loc and H-loc, only moves forward in L, and doesn't move at all in Hi (all of this with the hubs unlocked) So I guess it hasn't been converted to part time.

How is that mile marker kit for the conversion w/o hubs for $45?  

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »
I think I just figured it out, sorry for being a little slow. I have a full time case (203) that originally probably came without manual locking hubs, but someone put manual locking hubs sometime along the way, So thats why it only drives with hubs in free in Lloc and Hiloc, and only drives with locked hubs in low and hi, because the manual hubs connect and disconnect the tires from the front differential, so someone probably installed the manual hubs to save gas.

Is all this correct?

So is this the same as part time kind of? Or does this system still waste gas?

Should I put in the part time conversion where you replace the spider gears in the tcase with wedge gears?

Sorrry about all the questions, Thanks!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Hubs
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »
Yeah sounds like you're driving around in HiLoc position. This works but locks the interaxle differential and usually causes it to prematurely fail. Convert it and use manual hubs or swap it out with a 208 transfercse.

The stock Xcase shift pattern is...

Low Lock
Low Full-time
Neutral
High Full-time
High Lock

If you convert it you will have...

4x4 Low
2x4 low
Neutral
2x4 High (Normal Street use)
4x4 High

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
Yup I'm buying that mile marker kit for like $40 to convert it to part time, I already have manual hubs so I don't need to buy the $130 mile marker kit with hubs. Thanks for the info!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »
Well don't confuse the terminology now! LOL Part Time is now considered something you use when you are locked. You use it "Part Time". "Full Time" means you use it on any road surface. I know it sounds confusing and backwards but most manufacturers use the terminology as I just explained.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
I still don't understand the point of locking the hubs. If its four wheel drive all the time why dont they just have the hubs be always locked?

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
Well, originally, without the hubs, your truck was considered full-time 4x4 because the wheels were were bolted directly to the front axle shafts(sort of) and they had no hub or locker or anything, it was all a nut and bolt solid piece.  The transfer case acted just like a rear axle, the power went to the front or rear, dependant upon which one needed it at any given time.
Now, your's has locking hubs, which as you siad, disconnect the wheels from the front differential.  This gives you two wheel drive.  The hubs are locked in by you whenever you feel like getting out and locking them in.  This re-connects the wheels to the front differential.  Once you install the Transfer case kit, you will no longer have the differential in the transfer case and you will have 4x2 in HI or LO and 4x4 in HI-LOC or LO-LOC.

The original point of the NP203 case was for driver convenience or work use where 4x4 is often needed.  This made it easier to have a truck that was always locked into 4 wheel drive of some kind.

Also, once you convert the transfer case, lock in the hubs for about 10 out of every 200 mils and shift into hi-loc.  This will cirulate the fluid in the case since a 203 uses the chain to sling oil into a container that lubricates the case.  Once converted, you won't have that in Hi or LO any more.  

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks man, I really appreciate the info! I think I understand how it works now:D