Author Topic: TH350 loose valve body bolt / filter oddity  (Read 2117 times)

Offline monkeyspunk79

TH350 loose valve body bolt / filter oddity
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »
Hello all, this is my first post but I've been loving this site for a while now. I'll get right to it then. I have a 76 C20 2wd longbed that we inherited from my wife's grandfather. It was his farm truck and has just 36K on the clock. It sat for the last few years before he passed away, but we are nursing her back to health.

She has been running fine the last 6 months, but I decided to freshen up fluids today and did a trans fluid & fiter change. Its a Turbo 350 transmission. When I dropped the pan, I noticed that the filter was a big square plastic thing with two very tiny screws holding it on. The unit I replaced it with (and have always seen) is a larger metal filter with a mesh/plastic element. The original screws were too short for it, so I had to get longer ones and use washers to install. Is this normal? Or do you think someone replaced it with a generic one? As long as the new one is snug it should be fine, right?

Second: when installing the filter I noticed one of the valve body bolts above it was loose to the point of almost falling out. When I tried to tighten it down, it appeared to be tight. So I used a 1/4" ratchet and tightened it more, then backed it out. threads looked fine. I tightened it down to spec, but it still made me wonder "is this right"? So I ask the experts...is it? Shouldn't they all be flush with the valve body? Or did I just make a huge mistake by tightening things down? For what its worth it runs great still and I put a few miles on it and let it run for a good 30 minutes. Feels more responsive than it did before.

Thanks everyone for whatever help you can provide. Its been a while since I dug inside an auto trans :)