Author Topic: i may want to take the grill and rad support off..............  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

What would be involved with taking only the grill and radiator core support out?   Not the entire front clip.

Since i need a new trans, the engine could use some engine stand tuning AND i need a new radiator, i'm thinking this is a good way to go?   Although, if too much work, i can do it the conventional way.

If i did do this and removed the engine and trans at the same time, would i need to undo the trans crossmember?  (TH-350)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: i may want to take the grill and rad support off..............
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
easy enough
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:41:31 PM »
Kept the hood on, was easy pees y
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »
The front fenders will want to spread with hood up and core support removed, I used a rachet strap in the bottom holes (access for side marker lights) it's far enough down that it won't get in the way when removing engine/trans.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 06:59:28 AM »
Unless you have a reason to remove it, why would you? 73-80 do not separate as easily without loosening the fenders at which point you are going to be spending time fixing gaps and body lines. Not sure what year you have. So unless you have a good reason it's not going to save you any time or aggravation. If you are replacing the transmission, why are you pulling the engine or working in that direction. You can have your transmission out before you finish your second cup of coffee in a C10
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 11:25:02 AM »
Unless you have a reason to remove it, why would you? 73-80 do not separate as easily without loosening the fenders at which point you are going to be spending time fixing gaps and body lines. Not sure what year you have. So unless you have a good reason it's not going to save you any time or aggravation. If you are replacing the transmission, why are you pulling the engine or working in that direction. You can have your transmission out before you finish your second cup of coffee in a C10

Yeah, the more i think about it, i think i will do it the conventional way.   i wanted to pull the engine because i'd like to some detailing that was overlooked when i first installed it----because i needed a running truck asap (remember this swap took months....... :( ),   such as actually timing the engine properly (runs good the way it is though) installing timing tab for distributor, installing a dipstick properly, tidying up the wiring, getting the oil pressure sensor situation figured out properly (4.3 is not the same as v-8 for some reason).     i realize all this could be done with the engine installed, but i figure since the trans needs to come out anyways...............

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
It's out.

1) First, i  would like to curse Vile, for suggesting that, "i could have the trans out before i finish my second cup of coffee."  ;D    Yes, for someone who has done this procedure many times, AND has the right tools, AND knows which tools to use (i had to get a trans jack from harbor freight, works well, and a 2' 3/8th extension and U-joint ratchet---which i ended up not using), then they could probably get it out fairly quickly.

i actually had to take the trans out from the rear----as in UNDER the rear axle under the rear bumper.  The REAR of the truck.  This is because i underestimated the height the truck needed to be raised to.   i only used ramps on the rear wheels.

In my case, my second cup of coffee would be about the size of a 55 gallon oil drum................