Author Topic: Anyone have a Turbo In-line 6 in their c10?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Burkhalter

Re: Anyone have a Turbo In-line 6 in their c10?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
I saw a late 60s nomad station wagon at a car show with a I6 and 6 single barrel carbs with a custom built manifold to a supercharger. I would hate to be the to tune it. But it looked awesome. The carbs were even all anodized to match the paint color.
'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
Ready?

If you LIKE the engine and want to mess with a turbo, then fine.  But i think the easiest, fastest and cheapest way for more performance is to drop a 350 in there.  Gm performance has a few good ones for not too much $$$.    An LS swap might be easier, cheaper too.

Thanks for the article! I joined an inline 6 group on Facebook and I learned about how expensive it was today but I still feel like it would have the cool factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how much?

How much, what?

how expensive it was
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 07:23:12 AM »
Ready?

If you LIKE the engine and want to mess with a turbo, then fine.  But i think the easiest, fastest and cheapest way for more performance is to drop a 350 in there.  Gm performance has a few good ones for not too much $$$.    An LS swap might be easier, cheaper too.

Thanks for the article! I joined an inline 6 group on Facebook and I learned about how expensive it was today but I still feel like it would have the cool factor!

how much?

How much, what?

how expensive it was

They didn’t give exact numbers but they were telling me it’s more expensive per HP to build an inline 6 compared to swapping a 350 or LS swap

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 11:41:22 PM »
RE: How much:

i guess if you have a welder and access to a pipe bender, you may be able to rig something up for fairly cheap?   But i look at things in terms of time as well.  And i think the easiest, quickest, cheapest, fastest way to get more power is to drop a 350 (or ANY small block) in there EVEN with all  the extra parts needed.

Another thing to consider is that with the turbo, there will be some/a lot of screwing around with the carb to get it right.  Whereas with a 350 with stock to mild cam, with a good dual-plane manifold, it won't take much if any messing around with the carb to get it running right.  Something off the shelf will likely work ok.  (Just my opinion)

The FAST fuel injection says it works with turbos and if true then this might be a game-changer for you?

The bottom line for me is: IF you LIKE the engine AND you have the time and $$$ to screw around with it, then that is a good enough reason to proceed.   Hopefully you have another car to use as transportation......
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:49:41 PM by Stewart G Griffin »

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 12:16:30 AM »
RE: How much:

i guess if you have a welder and access to a pipe bender, you may be able to rig something up for fairly cheap?   But i look at things in terms of time as well.  And i think the easiest, quickest, cheapest, fastest way to get more power is to drop a 350 (or ANY small block) in there EVEN with all  the extra parts needed.

Another thing to consider is that with the turbo, there will be some/a lot of screwing around with the carb to get it right.  Whereas with a 350 with stock to mild cam, with a good dual-plane manifold, it won't take much if any messing around with the carb to get it running right.  Something off the shelf will likely work ok.  (Just my opinion)

The FAST fuel injection says it works with turbos and if true then this might be a game-changer for you?

The bottom line for me is: IF you LIKE the engine AND you have the time and $$$ to screw around with it, then that is a good enough reason to proceed.   Hopefully you have another car to use as transportation......

Yeah I’m not messing around with a carb I’m definitely going with a self tuning EFI system. And it’s not about the power for me it’s more of the cool factor I’m going for

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
They make a specific turbo manifold for the 250/230/292 styles. Around $400, then it's just a matter of sizing turbo and figuring intake. A self tuning EFI should match up pretty good.

Keep boost at reasonable levels, and you can likely double power pretty easy. And if you do your shopping, you could probably piece together enough for under $2,000.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 04:37:46 PM »
They make a specific turbo manifold for the 250/230/292 styles. Around $400, then it's just a matter of sizing turbo and figuring intake. A self tuning EFI should match up pretty good.

Keep boost at reasonable levels, and you can likely double power pretty easy. And if you do your shopping, you could probably piece together enough for under $2,000.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I’m looking at either the FAST or Holley sniper EFI and with the fuel system that’s already around $1300 maybe not including the intake I need which is probably another $300-400. That doesn’t leave much room for the turbo manifold, and turbo setup