Author Topic: Help on steering arm  (Read 3264 times)

Offline BLAZE

Help on steering arm
« on: February 29, 2004, 11:18:00 PM »
i am just about done putting a lift on my blazer, But the only thing stopping me is this @#%$ steering arm. i got it separated from the ball joint on 1 end and the 3 nuts off other end, but i have been whackin at that thing allll freakin day, bent the @#%$ outta my hammer, put a jack underneath it to lift it off. This goddamnb thing will not come off. Is there some thing im missing here or a lil advice please.  

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: Help on steering arm
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »
Just keep beating on it, especially where the lettering is.  This seems to be the "sweet spot" for getting these buggers to come off.  Did you already remove the cone washers from the 3 studs?

1973 K20 - 350/465/205

Offline BLAZE

Re: Help on steering arm
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
the lettering is underneath right above axle, no way to hit it under there. I just busted the handle on my hammer now too. This thing is lookin pretty chipped and banged up from all the hitting on it ive been doin but thanx.

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
re stearing arm
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
try heating it up and pounding it lose. that usually helps

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: re stearing arm
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »
Some tips taken from Colorado K5.

"You can use a small punch or screwdriver and a hammer to tap on the cone washers in order to unthread them. Just insert the tip into the gap on the washer and tap the washer in a counterclockwise motion. After removing the washers it usually only takes a few taps with a hammer to get it off. "

"Take a center punch and hit the top of the bolts themselves, this causes "jarring" effect on the cone washers, I went over each bolt, hit pretty good like 3-4 times each, then took the 5lb. Hammer and hit in an upward motion on the part that connects to the pitman arm and it poped right up, I had beat and beat and beat and givin up on it till I chatted with him, and went back out and done it like he said and I had it off in 5 min. Kinda felt silly but it worked."

"The "sweet spot" that someone else was referring to would be to hit the numbers on top of the arm. Sometimes the cone washers get threaded onto the studs, so use a pair of vice grips and clamp down on them and unthread them."

1973 K20 - 350/465/205

Offline BLAZE

Re: re stearing arm
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »
steering arm
Well i got a pic. of it a lil blurry but best i can do. i found out it IS the washers, but ive tried hitting them to twist them off like sum1 said, but as u can see in the pic, the slot is quite big now, and all mashed up. i just got a torch tonight but have never used 1. i hit it with torch for bout 1 min. tried everything again and nothing. Im about ready to keep it on and try that $50 bolt thing to put on ball joint down to steering arm.