Author Topic: Missing Cover?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline KamperBob

Missing Cover?
« on: June 01, 2024, 08:44:47 PM »
I'm restoring an 84 k30 with 6.2 diesel and SM465. Seems like a cover is missing just below the starter. As is road crud has an easy in. I might could fashion something but can anyone help me source the proper replacement part? TIA

« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 08:46:42 PM by KamperBob »

Offline KamperBob

Re: Missing Cover?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 12:17:03 AM »
Further exam made clear it wraps around the lower half of the bell housing behind the oil pan. I found some leads calling it a bell or clutch housing dust cover. This one indicates match for Saginaw and Muncie transmissions.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/OER-3843943/applications

BUT others like this one say the 3843943 is for earlier model year applications and only 11" clutch.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/truck/parts/3843943.html

According to the GM specs literature I found it's a 12" clutch. Maybe the same cover, maybe not.

This one says: Will NOT work with 11" GM Truck bellhousing.

https://www.amazon.com/3843943-Housing-Flywheel-similar-bellhousin/dp/B074KMFCTL/

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 07:52:02 AM »
It is a dust cover and goes by other names as well. Every lazy mechanic rips them off and doesn't bother to put it back on, even though it's just a few more bolts. Can't help you sizing options on the internet though. Might try Ebay too.

Edit: Looking at your links above the Classic Industries one probably doesn't fit SM465. The Summit and Amazon links look possible.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 08:00:44 AM by Mr Diesel »
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline Mike81K10

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 11:00:04 AM »
A local salvage yard or internet search can easily find you the part. Bell Housing dust cover!
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Online berserk

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 11:13:15 AM »
We ran a C30 for 10 years without one and it didn't hurt anything. But I'm like you at this point and would want it on there. Facebook Marketplace parts trucks and eBay are probably your best bet. I'm in Oklahoma and there aren't many k-30s around this state so I've never seen one in a salvage yard. But if you're in a state or area where they are more common you might look for it there as well.
76 Chevy k10 350/th350/203 part time. Vortec head 350 Dana 60 w/Detroit, 14 bolt Tru Trac, 33" Micky T. Mudders.

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 11:37:02 PM »
Thanks y'all. Looking again at pix for p/n 3843943 the bolt pattern looks wrong. Maybe this week I can try some junkyards. Meanwhile I'm underneath to replace motor mounts which is feeling like its own a slippery slope. Trying to find a jack point to lift the motor from below. That's harshed by the front axle and frame cross member in the way. While under there I can try whittling a cardboard template prototype cover with bolt holes marked and approximate shape. The idea being to either take with to junkyards looking for a match or transfer that shape to sheet metal to make a cover.

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 12:24:30 AM »
The starter is now off as part of the motor mount replacement mini project.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=39727

I had enough time to start a cardboard template for the missing cover but ran out of day. Tomorrow I'll try to get some pix while finishing the template and hopefully transferring the geometry successfully to metal. I'm itchy to get the wheels back on the ground and road test all the work recently completed.

Offline Mike81K10

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2024, 09:43:07 AM »
There are some out there if you search the WEB.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 03:01:26 PM »
Thanks (again) Mike81K10. That's good to know. Mine's done this morning, however.

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2024, 03:08:19 PM »
Actually, the boltholes on that eBay cover look wrong. Like others I posted earlier. Shrug...

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 05:47:08 PM »
Making a template for the bell housing cover wasn't hard. It just took a number of logical steps to get there.

I started on the passenger side with a piece of cardboard about 8" square. While held against the bell housing it was pushed upwards until snug to the underside of the engine block. Then it was slid towards the center behind the oil pan until it wouldn't go any further.

To transfer holes in the bell housing there wasn't enough room on the backside for a drill so an ice pick was used to make holes in the cardboard. The boltholes in  housing were already tapped 1/4-20 thread but clogged so the threads were cleaned with a tap. Then two bolts held the passenger side in place.

The same steps were repeated on the driver side (except only 1 housing bolthole on that side). Then the width of the missing middle section could be determined. Once slid up in place between both sides all 3 were taped together. Then using a marker the bell housing shape was traced onto the back side of the cardboard. Excess cardboard was trimmed with utility knife.

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2024, 06:01:15 PM »
With a couple quick measurements the almost round hole for the starter was determined. Another cardboard template was made for the starter hole. It was tweaked to get the size and shape just right. The template was held over the starter and traced with a Sharpie to establish the top outside corner location. The top and left sides were squared up to that corner with a utility knife. The cardboard template was then held up the bell housing and the 2 bolt hole locations were transferred with an ice pick. The template geometry was transferred to sheet metal. The resulting metal template established the starter hole in relation to the 2 bolt holes in the bell housing.

Offline KamperBob

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2024, 06:07:26 PM »
The metal starter hole template was overlaid onto the bell housing cover. Two 1/4-20 bolts held the two pieces together for transferring the starter hole geometry. That's how I ended up with a makeshift bell housing cover.

The sheet metal holes were cut piecemeal using Dremel cutoff discs. The outer curved shape of the housing cover was trimmed with tin snips.