Author Topic: Any USA made OE replacement springs?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline berserk

Any USA made OE replacement springs?
« on: June 05, 2024, 02:33:23 AM »
A year and a half ago I replaced my 40+ year old leaf springs with skyjacker soft ride 2.5-in lift springs. They are made in America and they actually did a great job softening up my ride. Sadly I absolutely hate the 2.5-in lift, I'm middle-aged now with some reoccurring physical pain and I hate getting in and out of the truck every single time.

The issue is whenever I look up OE replacement leaf springs they all give exactly the same part number. And when you look at country of origin if they list its made in Mexico.

Dayton, general spring, dorman, husky etc. all have the same part number and it makes me think all these companies are sourcing the part from  the same foreign supplier.

Besides custom spring packs from Alcan and Deaver that cost 1000$ a pair are there any companies left who make USA manufactured OE replacement springs for a 1976 K10 Chevy?

Edit to add: If you have experience with these companies who currently use foreign supplied leaf springs are they good quality and hold up over time?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 02:35:32 AM by berserk »
76 Chevy k10 350/th350/203 part time. Vortec head 350 Dana 60 w/Detroit, 14 bolt Tru Trac, 33" Micky T. Mudders.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Any USA made OE replacement springs?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 06:42:53 AM »
You could install steps. How many leaves do you have? Take out a leaf? Longer shackles? Move spring hangers? Finding quality anything is tough but you could also put a used set of stock springs in. Clean them up, blast, paint, new bushings and insulators.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline berserk

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 12:07:03 PM »
The pack is 4+1 on a 1 ton swapped K10. Wouldn't axle wrap be a concern taking a leaf out leaving only 3+1? I have helper air bags on the shelf ready to install so the loss in payload capacity wouldn't be an issue.
76 Chevy k10 350/th350/203 part time. Vortec head 350 Dana 60 w/Detroit, 14 bolt Tru Trac, 33" Micky T. Mudders.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 06:55:31 PM »
One ton axles are a lot of mass. Just get some steps man
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline berserk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 12:54:26 AM »
I have chronic nerve pain, and steps of any kind aggravate the pain on my bad days/weeks. But I may just have to throw some on and give it a try. I can often find a way of doing things that don't hurt as much.

I know of an old school style junk yard in a tiny town of Oklahoma where there are at least 10 square body's. It's very hard to find them anywhere in OKC junkyards. I'll probably go out there this weekend and do what you suggested and see if I can find some stock springs. Also I found a company in Tulsa Oklahoma that builds springs, but I haven't contacted them yet.

Last resort I'll just run the Chicano springs, half or more of new Chevy truck parts are made in Mexico/over seas. If guys are paying 70k for them I guess I can take a chance on 350$ springs lol

Thanks for the input Vile!!