Author Topic: Control Arm Bushings...Moog vs.  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
Control Arm Bushings...Moog vs.
« on: October 18, 2019, 01:50:38 PM »
While checking the fit between  upper and lower control arm shafts and bushings, I found the
bushings purchased from   to be way too sloppy.
So, out come the calipers.
I called Moog for dimensions on their bushings for reference.
Here is what I found:

Position                      Shaft Diameter                   Moog Bushing I.D.                             bushing I.D.
Upper                            .749                                      .752                                                 .760
Lower                            .998                                     1.006                                                1.040 (WOW!)

The upper is closer than the lower, but not close enough. The upper should be darn near a press fit on the shaft.
But the lower...............geeeeeeez.............034" larger than the Moog part !!!! That's a huge difference!
Now, I wonder about the ball joints...................
You can lead a man to water, but yoiu can't keep him from pissing in it.

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
Re: Control Arm Bushings...Moog vs.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 07:54:45 AM »
Ok, what lower bushing manufacture did you installed that had a closer spec?

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »
Ok, what lower bushing manufacture did you installed that had a closer spec?

The post states "Moog"

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
Well done on your attention to detail, insistence on quality workmanship and perseverance!

How many of us have been down this road?  IMHO, this is an irrefutable example of why it is best practice to use OEM service parts whenever feasible.  Barring OE availability, substitute reputable aftermarket name brands from established companies with proven records.  In the case of suspension components, seek out ACDelco, Moog or TRW.  If you're exceptionally price conscious, substitute Mevotech.  For modest improvements over OEM performance, with slight sacrifices in a quiet ride, use Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings.

The risk of purchasing from aftermarket vendors who sell unbranded parts and parts that are packaged to "mimic" the appearance of a reputable brand is the absence of reliable quality control assurances, suitability to task and durability.  Rather, the vendor's primary interest is in the volume of sales, which more than compensates for customer complaints.  Consequently, many parts don't fit.  They provide marginal functionality.  Many use inferior materials, often failing prematurely, sometimes within weeks.  This becomes especially important with regard to safety items that affect vehicle control.  Lives and property can be jeopardized.  Guess where the primary liability falls?

Caveat emptor!   Buyer beware!

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »
This is one of the reasons I am afraid to tackle the control arm bushings on my 77.

Everything else in the front suspension has been replaced other than them. I've read horror stories how bushings and sleeves done fit right, how the control arms are wallowed out, and how much of a nightmare it can be.

Also read about complete OEM style control arms being of poor quality

I have no need for fancy name brand tubular control arms but unbolting the one ones and bolting new ones on sounds awesome... except for the price.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »
I really HAD thought of (those other guys)   as a supplier of quality aftermarket components.
I am surprised and saddened to discover otherwise.
Now, I am inclined not to use the upper and lower ball joints I purchased from  ..

ed....I see the point of confusion....Apparently I am not allowed to post the name of the supplier of the bushings that are too large.....  The name of that supplier has been scrubbed from my posts....

ed...All has been explained. I understand. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:47:29 PM by Ronno6 »