Author Topic: AAM 11.5 Axle  (Read 9952 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
AAM 11.5 Axle
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »
Have any of you guys swapped a AAM 11.5 rear out of a newer GMC/Dodge into your trucks? 
Are the GMC and Dodge versions the same? U-joint, e-brake setup, spring perches, etc?

My truck is a 78 C20 with HD rear leaf springs, and a 14 bolt FF.

From what I understand they have disc brakes with a smaller drum inside that acts as parking brake.  Does anyone know thw width if the axle and if it would swap out with an old 14bFF width wise?  I figure it will need the spring and shock perches moved.  What kind of E-brake cable would I need?  I also figure on having to have a new end put on the driveshaft at the axle.   If the axle would move the wheels outward 1-2 inches that would be fine, I could just get spacers for the front to make them match.  I need spacers now because I have 2001 3/4 ton wheels and they don't stick out enough to start with.  anything else you guys can think of.   

I've seen a couple of people on the net get AAM 11.5's for $400 or so so it should cost about the same to buy one as to convert my 14b, except I'll have to add in the cost of moving perches and driveshaft work to the AAM 11.5.

Any thought on why I should just keep my 14 bolt?

Mainly I would like to do this for the HD disc brakes plus it's got a bigger ring gear which can't hurt.  I'm just tired of messing with the drum setup I have now.  I keep having the drums get grabby and it's a PITA to take the drums off to get to the brakes inside, so with discs it's so much easier and I won't have to open the axle to get to them. 

Thanks fellas
Kenny
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: AAM 11.5 Axle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »
Yeah what he said.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
I've been looking at that exact TCM kit.  I've been seeing some off-road guys on the net who don't like the eldorado calipers.  whether they're good or not good enough is about 50/50 on the net.  you know I'm not going off roading or racing or anything.  I just want it to hold the truck with a 2500lb. load in the back if i need it to. 

The AAM axle is just something I found looking around and it would be a cool upgrade if necessary or if it would cost a similar amount of money. 

About the brake kit, some q's i haven't seen answered.  they recommend a proportioning valve but don't say if it's needed, i think it would be, but anybody found out?  also I'd think if I put SS lines on the back I should put them on the front too.  But messing with the front brake lines is a MAJOR PITA for me.  I dunno why but I think that's the hardest thing on these trucks to do while the engine frame mounts are in, for me anyway.

Since you guys think it's a good idea, I think I'll go with the kit above.  Thanks fellas.

Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
The caddy calipers E-brake setup has to be used OFTEN to keep them adjusted properly.  You can always use their T-case brake...

I would probably run a disc/disc combo valve and a Vette master cylinder.  That is what I plan to do when I convert.  TVBlazer converted his to disc I believe (not a 14B but...)

Offline j250trxr

• 1 tons rule
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »
i have the disc brake swap on my 86 k30 and i just put a line lock on the rear end works great,even holds the boat on pretty steep ramps.i put a proportioning valve in works good for fine tuning probley dont need one.but i also have the hydro bost brakes.with 1 ton discs in the front and 3/4 ton discs in the back the truck stops on a dime.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »
A hydraulic emergency brake won't pass state inspection in N.H. It has to be mechanical.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs