Author Topic: Sm465 backup switch issue  (Read 2071 times)

Offline lefty70

Sm465 backup switch issue
« on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
Hello. Having an issue with my switch. The switch will work when I press the plunger IN (removed from trans). I was under the impression that it was supposed to work when the plunger extended into the detent in the reverse shift rail. I’ve had my top cover apart, so either the shaft is 180 off OR the switch is bad. I’m going to look in the switch hole to inspect the rail but looking for someone who knows how it actually operates. Thanks - Josh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lefty70

Re: Sm465 backup switch issue
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:29:12 AM »

That’s what the reverse rail looks like in the switch hole when in reverse.

1984 GMC C3500 crewcab dually
454, SM465
Dana 70

Offline Catrik

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 01:51:09 PM »
The switch activates when the plunger is pressed in. It sounds and looks like everything is working like it's supposed to. I just recently replaced the switch.

Offline lefty70

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »
The switch activates when the plunger is pressed in. It sounds and looks like everything is working like it's supposed to. I just recently replaced the switch.
My problem is that the switch isn’t triggered when transmission is shifted into reverse. I’m wondering now if switch isn’t screwed in far enough??

Offline lefty70

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
My problem is that the switch isn’t triggered when transmission is shifted into reverse. I’m wondering now if switch isn’t screwed in far enough??

Yup, switch wasn’t bottomed out. I had to remove cover to see it unfortunately.